Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NATURAL HISTORY CINEMATOGRAPHY

Could use some help from my fellow science and natural history filmmakers. I am developing a non-profit educational program for University film students and Middle School children. As this is the proof of concept phase of the program, I am only looking for about a dozen or so documentary filmmakers who would be willing to participate. Am trying to get a wide variety of locations. Thus far I have found filmmakers in Tasmania, Columbia, India and Oman as well as numerous locations in the USA who are either helping me with actual productions or are aiding me in locating Universities that have documentary films schools in their parts of the World and Middle Schools that are willing to participate in the test phase of the project. Once the program is launched we will be offering tuition grants to documentary film students. In return for the tuition grants, the film students will act as field producers for a Middle School short form documentary. Our website will act as a repository for all the children's doc's and we will securely make them available to educational institutions around the World. Kids will be teaching kids.

Below is a Field Producer job description I drew up for University's listserves. Now I realize that most of the filmmakers here on RedUser are professionals and the payment for this job is well beneath their regular salaries or daily rates, so I am not specifically asking you to take on the field producer's role. But I would really appreciate some assistance in locating documentary film schools - preferably an accredited university or college. I am looking for contact names / addresses of the university's film department heads. My international google searches have been less than fruitful and most times outdated. Thanks for you help on this.


Our Rock©

Field Producer Job Description

Thank you for your interest in Our Rock. Our Rock is a non-profit educational service firm that brings together filmmakers, scientists, engineers and middle school classrooms to produce short form documentaries about their local environment. The goal of the project is to provide the children with an immersed learning experience, with a focus on science and math.

The Our Rock website is a repository for all the docs and we make them available to middle school geography, history and cultural studies classrooms worldwide. So not only will this program provide the children with an applied math and science experience, they will also have an opportunity to learn about other countries and cultures from children their own age.

Your role as a field producer is to guide the children through the production process. The children need to be the directors and the writers of the short form (6-10min) documentary, it must be their voice we hear and see in the films. As this is the start up phase of the project the environmental topic is limited to just one area for now, we will expand the list once we move into the operational phase. So for now the question we want the children to answer is: Where does your water come from?

We do not want to put any restrictions on how they approach the subject. What we mean here is that they could focus on the overall picture of evaporation-precipitation in their particular region of the country or they could look how geography and geology play a central role in providing them with their water. They could also focus on the treatment plants where the water they use is cleaned and recycled. The choice of scientists and engineers that may be used to help education the class and tell the story will also be left up to you, the teachers and the children.

As the field producer you will be charged with the task of locating a middle school classroom that would be interested in participating in this test phase of the program. Working with your advisor, the local teacher and the school administration you will design a program that fits within established criteria and curriculum guidelines. This may sound a bit daunting, but you will find that the schools are more than happy to work with you on this. Just be prepared to use school breaks and vacation time for the fieldwork.

You will also be required to complete the post-production process of the film, including editing, coloring and finishing. We will assist in clearing rights for a music track. So please feel free to let the children have a voice in this choice, again it has to be their film not yours. You are the producer.

Once all the documentaries have been completed, we will send you copies of them to share with your class. This way the children have the opportunity to learn what life is like in other parts of the World from kids their own age. The children will be asked to write a paper about what new things they learned from watching the films, what do they know now that they didn’t know prior to watching them. You will be asked to get copies these papers and forward them back to us for review.

Contract Salary: $1K - $5K depending on experience.
 
Hi Joe,
Can you list down all the parts for the system and if possible links please.
Sabyasachi
Sorry It's taken me so long to respond. Here is what I used for support:
For the main support rail: Really Right Stuff 18-inch camera support bar (CB-18):
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CB-18
The Sigma 300-800 mounts onto the rail using a B2-Duo Double clamp:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...&type=0&eq=B-Duo-001&desc=B2-Duo-Double-Clamp
The main support bar attaches to a B2-Pro/L 80mm Clamp with a Sachtler plate mounted to the bottom:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...eq=&desc=B2-Pro/L:-80mm-clamp-with-dual-mount
The camera is fixed to the main bar with a RED Quick Release Platform (Bolt-on):
http://www.red.com/store/products/quick-release-platform-bolt-on

NOTE: The system does require some modification: You must drill an extra hole for fixing the RED bolt-on platform to the rail. Also a spacer is required between the base of the Lens mount and the clamp that attaches to the 18-inch camera bar.

I also use a Bushnell Red Dot riflescope mounted to a SWAT rail to help find my subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM
 
Thanks for sharing Yusuf,
Fascinating creatures and environment!!!

best
joe

Thank You Joe.
You are in Tasmania, I plan to setup shop soon in Perth, Australia.
Got my clearances and need to do the landing before October 2012.
Will move 50% of our Studio equipment and will need people to join.

Done my homework but still apprehensive.
Maybe guys in Aussie Land can chip in or
comment/advise.

Yusuf Thakur
VFX,Dubai.
www.vfxme.com
 
Thank You Joe.
You are in Tasmania, I plan to setup shop soon in Perth, Australia.
Got my clearances and need to do the landing before October 2012.
Will move 50% of our Studio equipment and will need people to join.

Done my homework but still apprehensive.
Maybe guys in Aussie Land can chip in or
comment/advise.

Yusuf Thakur
VFX,Dubai.
www.vfxme.com

Very interesting Yusuf,
Haven't been out west for more than 10 years now.......I believe it's come along in leaps and bounds -
of course, it's smack bang in the middle of the mining boom, so maybe more $$$ around than some
of the southern States.
All the best with the move and I look forward to hearing your updates

best
joe
 
NaturaHD Reel 2012

NaturaHD Reel 2012

Hi! Just wanted to share with you our new reel with some shots filmed over the last months. Of course there´s RED footage in it, im pretty sure you will know what shots they are...;) https://vimeo.com/49231816
Hope you enjoy it!
Regards

Alberto Saiz
 
Thanks Joe!

Thanks for taking out time to give the links. I was earlier unable to search. Highly appreciated.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sorry It's taken me so long to respond. Here is what I used for support:
For the main support rail: Really Right Stuff 18-inch camera support bar (CB-18):
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CB-18
The Sigma 300-800 mounts onto the rail using a B2-Duo Double clamp:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/Product...&type=0&eq=B-Duo-001&desc=B2-Duo-Double-Clamp
The main support bar attaches to a B2-Pro/L 80mm Clamp with a Sachtler plate mounted to the bottom:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-Pro/L&type=0&eq=&desc=B2-Pro%2fL%3a-80mm-clamp-with-dual-mount
The camera is fixed to the main bar with a RED Quick Release Platform (Bolt-on):
http://www.red.com/store/products/quick-release-platform-bolt-on

NOTE: The system does require some modification: You must drill an extra hole for fixing the RED bolt-on platform to the rail. Also a spacer is required between the base of the Lens mount and the clamp that attaches to the 18-inch camera bar.

I also use a Bushnell Red Dot riflescope mounted to a SWAT rail to help find my subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM
 
Wildscreen Wildlife Film Festival-Bristol England

Wildscreen Wildlife Film Festival-Bristol England

Hi guys, finally back from my duties in the field.

I am glad all of you are keeping the thread going. I see nice clips and stills from my fellow filmmakers..please keep it coming!!!

Is any Reduser assisting to the Wildscreen this year? if so please PMme to get together, have a drink or maybe just spend sometime chatting!!

Let me know!!!
 
Christian
Alaska to British Columbia was exquisite!
Here are some stills- I am preparing a trip reel but it might have to wait as I am preparing to leave to Indonesia in two weeks.

Lets remain in touch-

Mauriciio
 

Attachments

  • A018_C020_0910IV.0000006.jpg
    A018_C020_0910IV.0000006.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A018_C029_0910NQ.0000503.jpg
    A018_C029_0910NQ.0000503.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_082312_0176.jpg
    MH_082312_0176.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_082312_0475.jpg
    MH_082312_0475.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_082312_0582.jpg
    MH_082312_0582.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Here are some moire images- I will post clips as soon as they are ready.
 

Attachments

  • MH_091312_1340 copy.jpg
    MH_091312_1340 copy.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_091512_1926 copy.jpg
    MH_091512_1926 copy.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_091512_2110 copy.jpg
    MH_091512_2110 copy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_091612_2697 copy.jpg
    MH_091612_2697 copy.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MH_092112_3793 copy.jpg
    MH_092112_3793 copy.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
Maasai Mara on RED

Maasai Mara on RED

Hi there! Here´s a sneak preview of the film we were shooting in the Maasai Mara (Kenya) in october 2012:
https://vimeo.com/56120730
Working with our Scarlet was really fun and the camera performed very nice with all the heat and dust. The Nikon 300mm 2,8 was my fav lens, a killer combination.
Happy 2013 to everyone!
best wishes
 
Hi Alberto

Thank you for your note!
I just took a look at your Maasai Mara Film- STUNNING visuals...
Truly spectacular cinematography- It shows as well that it is much more than the camera that matters...
Exciting to know that you have achieved this with Little ol Scarlet....
Did you use Nikon lenses exclusively?

I have a short underwater Demo from Indonesia I am finishing up- will post link when ready.

All the very best- Mauricio
 
Hi Mauricio, thank you very much, glad you liked it!
We used also some Canon lenses (17-40mm, 70-200 f2,8, Tokina 11-16...)
Sometimes we missed the 300 fps of the Epic but overall we are very happy with li´l Scarlet...
Looking forward to see that underwater demo!
Best wishes from Spain!
Alberto


Hi Alberto

Thank you for your note!
I just took a look at your Maasai Mara Film- STUNNING visuals...
Truly spectacular cinematography- It shows as well that it is much more than the camera that matters...
Exciting to know that you have achieved this with Little ol Scarlet....
Did you use Nikon lenses exclusively?

I have a short underwater Demo from Indonesia I am finishing up- will post link when ready.

All the very best- Mauricio
 


I just uploaded a Stock Demo reel on some images I made in Indonesia- this us an underwater reel only.
All images done with Red Scarlet and Tokina 10-17 + Nikon 60mm macro using the an Amphibico Prototype Housing "Rouge"/
also 1x Light and Motion Sola 4000 and 1x Sola 2000 lights.

The compression with Vimeo seriously compromises the quality - if anyone has some pro tips on how to increase this quality in Vimeo I would love to hear from you
offline- mauricio@handlerphoto.com

Thanks for taking a quick look

Direct Link: https://vimeo.com/57959176
 
Congrats to Christian for opening this thread...

I came from wildlife photography, so I'm new to film and to RED equipment, but have moved to video in the best way, with a RED camera...Not an EPIC as I wish, but with a RED ONE thats continues to be on top...
 
Back
Top