Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Mounting a Scarlet-W on Ronin M via P-Tap

paul Robinson

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Boulder, CO
Hi all, I am sorting out a few things and was wondering what accessories I will need for this job.

I am trying to mount a scarlet-w onto a ronin and use the ronin's p-tap for power. I notice the ronin has a p tap on the bottom and there is a cable: http://www.dronenerds.com/products/...ble-dji.html?gclid=COXgv8Gfws4CFQIJaQodwkUPbw that you can buy.

However, it seems like you also need this device as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Part-41...606753?hash=item5b28355121:g:W9YAAOSw0fhXjNEA and rather than using the p tap on the underside of the gimbal you would use this one which would be connected right to the battery pack.

If anyone has done this either way and can give me some information that would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot!

Paul
 
You're going to have difficulties getting any RED to work well on a Ronin M. The 5lb weight capacity really limits you as to what you can actually put on the gimbal. You'll be better of renting a full size ronin which will take a lot more weight.

But yea, if you're gonna try it, you'll need both of those. You can actually pick up that right Lemo to P-tap cable on eBay as well for about $35 as opposed to $99. You're gonna have decreased run-time powering the gimbal and Red off the DJI batteries, so make sure you have plenty on hand as well as charging. You'll prob get an hour, maybe hour and a half per battery.

Again, my suggestion would be to rent a full size Ronin which will give you less issues throughout the day. I think you'll be battling the motors all day on a Ronin M
 
thanks for the info Chris! the thing that kills me about the ronin is just how heavy it is for run and gun shooting when you don't have a chest harness. if i have the monitor on the handle bars, a small lens on the camera and the battery mounted through the p-tap, i should hopefully be well under the weight limit.
 
Make sure you're using a non-resistant red touch cable - like freefly offers, so it keeps your motors somewhat happy. Where you're gonna run into issues is if you do any severe tilting/panning. You may be ok if you just keep it straight/center and do simple tracks, but as soon as you start to push it, your motors will give out.

Good luck! Hope it goes well.
 
Which Ronin is best for the Scarlet-W, anyone have any experience with the MX, getting it balanced, power supply etc. Sold my Ronin-M for an MX but waiting to see how others are configuring. Some of the latest reviews are showing some problems.
 
Ryan, I am going to try out the scarlet-w with the ronin m soon when i get mine. I will report back... let me know how it works with the mx. make sure to get this items i linked to in my above posts
 
For sure, are you using the base expander module to supply power, what lenses are you using. Any counter weights? Thanks in advance.
 
I will be using the V Lock I/O expander to run into the p tap on the power distributor I just purchased from DJI. From what I hear, I should get about 1-1.5 hours of battery from a ronin m battery.

My go to lenses for the ronin m have been, canon 14mm 2.8L II, Canon 24-70 2.8 L II, Zeiss 50 mm Makro 2.0 zf.2 with duclose cine mod, and zeiss 85mm 1.4 with duclos cine mod. In terms of weight the 14mm is definitely the lightest and then the other 3 are pretty similar.

I also have the tilt arm extensions that I used with a previous camera that I think will come in handy with the Scarlet-W for easy balancing


I am not sure I will need counterweights, hopefully the tilt arm extensions will be enough. I should be under 8 lbs with the monitor on the bars above and the battery off the camera.
 
Back
Top