Robin_Eriksson
Member
Hello everyone,
So I'm gearing up for another trip soon to see some wildlife in Norway and this time I want to use my Nikon AF-S 400mm f/2.8 VR lens however this lens isn't supported yet and goes bananas when mounted to the RED Scarlet-W. RED support is looking into adding the lens in future firmware updates which would be brilliant. But I would like to use the combo sooner than this will be fixed as I fear the firmware release will be after my trip is already over. But it's nice if they add it for future trips
I read up a bit online but doesn't seem to many have gone down this route yet. Hopefully someone here have tried this solution before I give it a go or have you used this particular lens and got it working. How did you do it?
What I came up with is basically making the lens "dumb" and making it not electronically connected to the RED by using a Nikon BR-6 adapter which is made for mounting lenses backwards for Macro work. On this adapter you can adjust the aperture on G lenses (just like the 400mm). And after this you need a reversing ring to mount to the RED.
Setup would be like this: RED -> reversing ring -> Nikon BR-6 -> Lens.
In my head I no issues and that it should work. I know it may affect image quality and focusing at infinity, but how bad is it? Has anyone tried this combo? This should make every Nikon lens out there compatible with the RED Nikon F mount? Am I in the right direction? I'm awaiting response from my local dealer and Nikon Europe. Will get back with results.
Best Regards,
Robin Eriksson
So I'm gearing up for another trip soon to see some wildlife in Norway and this time I want to use my Nikon AF-S 400mm f/2.8 VR lens however this lens isn't supported yet and goes bananas when mounted to the RED Scarlet-W. RED support is looking into adding the lens in future firmware updates which would be brilliant. But I would like to use the combo sooner than this will be fixed as I fear the firmware release will be after my trip is already over. But it's nice if they add it for future trips
I read up a bit online but doesn't seem to many have gone down this route yet. Hopefully someone here have tried this solution before I give it a go or have you used this particular lens and got it working. How did you do it?
What I came up with is basically making the lens "dumb" and making it not electronically connected to the RED by using a Nikon BR-6 adapter which is made for mounting lenses backwards for Macro work. On this adapter you can adjust the aperture on G lenses (just like the 400mm). And after this you need a reversing ring to mount to the RED.
Setup would be like this: RED -> reversing ring -> Nikon BR-6 -> Lens.
In my head I no issues and that it should work. I know it may affect image quality and focusing at infinity, but how bad is it? Has anyone tried this combo? This should make every Nikon lens out there compatible with the RED Nikon F mount? Am I in the right direction? I'm awaiting response from my local dealer and Nikon Europe. Will get back with results.
Best Regards,
Robin Eriksson