Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Most Affordable Scarlet-W package

Joined
Aug 15, 2016
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Virginia
Hi there, I have only shot on RED twice and loved it. I have my Scarlet-W deposit and I'm not sure how soon we will get it, but I was wondering what would be the bare minimum you'd get to be up and running?

I know I need the RED mag, mag station. I need an EF lens mount but is it worth getting the $2000 one vs. the $700.00 version? Is it better to buy just the body and get everything else used or 3rd party except mini mags?
Also I have no batteries. So whether we go V mount vs RED volt (I own nothing else that requires V mount batteries. )
Lastly Timecode, headphone, HDMI/SDI and XLRs are needed.

Thanks
 
I went as bare bones as I could. S-W Brain, F-Mount (700), 4.7 Touch, 128G Card, Wooden Camera Cable-Less Module (Gold-Mount) w/ IndiPro Battery.
All around $14k.

Currently trying to track down a RED Station Mini-Mag reader (Non-USBC)
 
Definitely don't need the titanium mount.

The touchscreen is one of the main features of the camera, but there are other ways to control it that work pretty well. Foolcontrol probably lets you access more features than the actual touchscreen, but it crashes a ton and is buggy. Probably one of the reasons Red isn't being used on any of the highest budget features.

Red made a version of the base expander with an integrated v-mount connector but did not make one with an integrated red volt xl connector. Redvolts are dead.

There are a few options for xlr audio. In order of increasing fidelity: base expander with wooden camera a-box which is
$200, Redvolt expander for $4000, OMOD XLR or OMOD POE XLR for $2700 or $3700. All of these expensive options only allow you to record to two of the four audio tracks on the camera.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top