Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Monochrome Dragon in the house

Erich Roland

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
1,905
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
68
Location
Fairfax Virginia
Website
www.dc-camera.com
Upgrade is completed and back.
 
If you've still got an Epic Mono I'd love to see some comparison shots... I'm planning to upgrade in 2015 and it would be great to see what else we get besides resolution (dynamic range especially)
 
Here's the best answer I can give to illustrate dynamic range on Dragon Mono.

250mb prores xyla chart download - 720p

I've labelled the stops, so you can judge for yourself where the last one is. A fair test of whether a stop is discernible is the shadow is to watch them come and go as I slide the Xyla chart's mask back and forth. If you can see it coming and going, then its fair game as a stop IMHO.

Dragon Monochrome is pretty incredible.
 
BTW - the chart is intentionally not sharp - Xyla charts have a textured surface which gets mistaken for fixed pattern noise, so shooting soft removes any doubt.
 
Here's the best answer I can give to illustrate dynamic range on Dragon Mono.

250mb prores xyla chart download - 720p

I've labelled the stops, so you can judge for yourself where the last one is. A fair test of whether a stop is discernible is the shadow is to watch them come and go as I slide the Xyla chart's mask back and forth. If you can see it coming and going, then its fair game as a stop IMHO.

Dragon Monochrome is pretty incredible.

Hmm... looks like 16 stops on my monitors, I can almost see something between 17 and 18 but not enough that I trust my eye. How did the non-Dragon mono Epic do? That's a handy test standard.
 
Regular Mono I measured at around 14.5 to MX's 13.5

Dragon comes out just on 16, and Dragon Mono IMHO is 17 or 18 according to taste.

I definitely see 18, but not beyond. Great test, John. Thanks for sharing it.
 
Congratts Erich.. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
 
Bumpers.... Monochrome Dragon!
 
My Monochrome Dragon should be arriving sometime this week if RED is able to stick to their 7-10 day cycle... really looking forward to some pre/post upgrade comparisons!
 
Took a bit longer than I'd guessed... but (finally) "Here there be Dragons..."



 
Back
Top