Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Monitor calibration for RedCine

Priit Poldmaa

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
65
For what colorspace and gamma should be computer monitor calibrated in Windows for RedCine?
I quess it is 2.2 gamma and sRGB but not sure.
The final output is HD 709.
We have SpiderPRO.


Thanks ahead.
Priit
 
Spider Pro 3 has a REC709 setting. Thats what I've been using.
 
I think that RC assumes you have computer monitor calibrated to a common computer color gammut and gamma and not to REC 709.
When I do switch between different gammas in project tab the main window remains the same regardless the chosen gamma.
The small thumbnails do change.

If I'm correct RC does convert the output gammut/gamma to the display one in background.
The question remains: what colorspace does RC expect.

It is strange that so important question is not covered in ReadMe.
 
Calibration tools like the Spyder 3 Elite (which I use) merely establish a common hardware display standard. The "color space" that you work in is managed by your production software - shifting displayed values according to your choices - sRGB, REC709, etc.

<rant>

By the way, I am using an old VGA CRT monitor for my coloring station. This extra (read: free) monitor sitting in my garage produces more accurate color than any LCD monitor out there, no matter what the price. So don't feel compelled to spend lots of money. Find a monitoring solution that can, at least, encompass the largest color gamut you expect to use and be happy. Ironically, it is only the amateur filmmakers who look at my "crappy" monitor and ask about it. The professionals don't need fancy gear and logos to understand a tool's value.

I have to laugh at people who spend $20K on a Sony broadcast monitor when Sony's very own Trinitron technology was available for a fraction of the price for the personal computer market. Alas, we're headed down the primrose path of LCD's and a good CRT is hard to find. (Perhaps, LED displays will save us all.)

</rant>

Michael
 
I have my Macs and PCs set at D65 and Gamma 2.2.

The trick is getting the Mac to play nice and not muck up the Gamma on output from FCP / compressor. Gamma settings in FCP and Compressor seem partially broken and buggy, but maybe it's just me...

As far as I can tell, REDCINE assumes you're viewing gamma is 2.2 whether you're on a Mac or Windows.
 
Jeff,

It's not "just you"...
I see the same here.
It seems that FCP think you work in 1.8 gamma setting on your screen, so it corrects to normal 2.2.

BUT, if your monitors are already set at 2.2 gamma, then the image shown in FCP will be artificially too dark.

In absence of a broadcast monitor, i think the only way to get near OK calibrated image IN FCP window is to set your computer's monitor to 1.8 gamma, because FCP will convert it automatically from 1.8 to 2.2, but just IN FCP windows.

Very unpleasing because when you watch your exported QT movie out of FCP, and for any other app anyway, then you have to set the monitor(s) to normal 2.2 gamma.

RedCine seems to work great with 2.2 gamma though.
 
Back
Top