Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Mix Pre 3 Issues?

Lee Cherry

New member
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey All,

So I picked up a Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 to up the audio game for when I don't have a sound person and I'm going one man doc with my Scarlet-W. However, I seem t be having issues and I'm wondering if any of you kind folks who my have more audio knowledge than myself has some light to shed on the subject?

I have a Scarlet W and use a Sennheiser M366/k6 Powered mic when It's going straight to the camera.

Here's the issues:

-When I attach the Mix pre to the bottom of the brain via 1/4 20, it makes a soft, fast click when I hit record. Unattached, no sound. Basically defeats the purpose of getting this device. I already have an H6n I can use but i wanted to go handheld.
-Hdmi Trigger: Doesn't work. Can anyone give a straightforward answer as to whether it's supposed to work? I'm not well versed in sound so it could be user error. However, I'm pretty sure I have the correct settings. I've read the forum already and I'm not seeing a clear cut answer on this. Would this be a Red firmware thing, Mix Pre firmware, or both?
-TC I'm wondering if I can cheat the TC into jamming using one of these cables https://www.gothamsound.com/product/35mm-right-angle-4-pin-lemo-cable and plugging into the Aux of the mix pre?

I really like the idea of this working but so far I haven't gotten to get it to work as I'd hoped. Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks!

Lee
www.cherrymultimedia.com
www.cherrysodastudios.com
 
Not sure about the sound when attached to the bottom. I attach attach mine to behind the camera with rear rods and a cheese plate.

HDMI trigger only works with certain DSLR cameras I believe.

You need a seperate TC box. I split the TC output on my ambient lockit. One goes to the red and the other to the mixpre.
 
I have a Scarlet W and use a Sennheiser M366/k6 Powered mic when It's going straight to the camera.


You mean "ME" not "M3" :-) Thus "ME66" is what it is usually called (or a bit longer the "ME66/K6"), basically an entry level / student grade / videographer type shotgun.

The ME66 I used back when I was starting out, first one I purchased after my NTG2, thinking it was an "upgrade". Nah, not really, bit of money wasted really! These days my ME66 barely even gets usage as a back up shotgun.

-Hdmi Trigger: Doesn't work. Can anyone give a straightforward answer as to whether it's supposed to work? I'm not well versed in sound so it could be user error. However, I'm pretty sure I have the correct settings. I've read the forum already and I'm not seeing a clear cut answer on this. Would this be a Red firmware thing, Mix Pre firmware, or both?

Could be a mix of both as to what the issue is.

You need to find out if RED even supports HDMI triggering in some form (look up and see if Atomos recorders for instance can be triggered by your RED), and then if the MixPre supports RED's variant or not. (as not everyone handles it the same)

-TC I'm wondering if I can cheat the TC into jamming using one of these cables https://www.gothamsound.com/product/35mm-right-angle-4-pin-lemo-cable and plugging into the Aux of the mix pre?

I really like the idea of this working but so far I haven't gotten to get it to work as I'd hoped. Any advice would be amazing.

Three major problems I see that you should double check first as to if they'd be an issue or not:

Some timecode cables only work in one direction, that one you linked to is from 3.5mm to LEMO. You'd want the reverse of that.

I think RED only has timecode in not out? (except with certain modules)

*IF* RED does TC out, does it pass a record trigger at all?

You might just want to put an Ultrasync ONE on each of the MixPre3 and RED.
 
Last edited:
You need a seperate TC box. I split the TC output on my ambient lockit. One goes to the red and the other to the mixpre.

One of the nice features of the Timecode Systems Ultrasync ONE is you have *two* outputs on the TC box, one for genlock and one output for timecode. But the genlock output can also be set to LTC as well, thus no need for a splitter cable! You could easily in a pinch use a single USO being feed to both the MixPre3 and RED at the same time.


 
Hey Lee,

I have the same with noise interference and have narrowed it down to my Mix Pre 3 being powdered by a V-Lock that is also running the camera.
If I power it using AAs or a V-Lock that is not connected to the camera the audio quality is perfect.

Currently trying to find a solution.

Did you have any luck?
 
Suffering from the same clicking sound when in record. Have tried different combinations of directly connecting to the base expander module, through a Wooden Camera A box, Sound Devices mixer... all with the same results. Has anyone solved this issue. Thanks! Using a Dragon X, Base Expander and Wooden Camera gold mount plate.
 
@Lee The HDMI trigger connection does not work with RED cameras, as of yet. Have you changed your cable for another? I have the MixPre-3 and it is working fine on the Scarlet_W.

Hello David, nice to see you around and hope to meet up with you one of these days! You're missed, all the best mate.
 
Back
Top