Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Light weight set-up?

vincent kardasik

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
46
Location
Hossegor, France
Website
www.lkrtel.com
Hey Gang,

My Red One will be used this winter in a cool project as the B-Camera.

For now it's configured as I still used it, classic top handle + handle extension, the old and classic Red One baseplate, the Red Quick Plate and a Red Arm for the EVF or the screen so it's pretty big and not that quick to set-up.

I know "light" and "Red One" doesn't seem to be the perfect match but could you Guys please give me some examples of your lightweight set-up or any recommandations?

Of course, I will try to keep all that on a budget.

Thanks.
 
I've managed to get some lightweight setups but it's still 15+ pounds so depends on your threshold for lightweight.
- SSDs, no Red drives
- As much carbon fiber components as possible
- Battery mounted off camera
- no mattebox
- small lenses
- LCD only (SmallHD or similar if you need viewfinder)
- Use screw-in filters (or get Xumed magnetics)

Red One is beefy. Tough as hell but with that comes some weight. So to keep it light you have to potentially give up some of the accessories you would normally use.
 
Steve pointed everything out perfectly already...

For some shots with shorter duration or less needed resolution you could still go the CF-Card route if SSD's are not an option for you.
Battery belt or external Battery-plate eg. mounted on a backback instead of camera mounted options.
If rod support is needed strip it down as much as possible and go with carbon or aluminum instead of the steel rods (also 15mm instead of 19mm studio standard).

What about MonoPod or eg. EasyRig?
Works fine with RED One (there are also bigger MonoPods out, not only that DSLR-one) and you don't have to lift the weight all the time to full instance.
 
I've managed to get some lightweight setups but it's still 15+ pounds so depends on your threshold for lightweight.
- SSDs, no Red drives
- As much carbon fiber components as possible
- Battery mounted off camera
- no mattebox
- small lenses
- LCD only (SmallHD or similar if you need viewfinder)
- Use screw-in filters (or get Xumed magnetics)

Red One is beefy. Tough as hell but with that comes some weight. So to keep it light you have to potentially give up some of the accessories you would normally use.

Thanks a lot or your reply Steve.
 
Steve pointed everything out perfectly already...

For some shots with shorter duration or less needed resolution you could still go the CF-Card route if SSD's are not an option for you.
Battery belt or external Battery-plate eg. mounted on a backback instead of camera mounted options.
If rod support is needed strip it down as much as possible and go with carbon or aluminum instead of the steel rods (also 15mm instead of 19mm studio standard).

What about MonoPod or eg. EasyRig?
Works fine with RED One (there are also bigger MonoPods out, not only that DSLR-one) and you don't have to lift the weight all the time to full instance.

Thanks Peter, I will probably go the CF way as I have a bunch of those.
For steady shots, I will keep on sticks, I'd rather use that than a monopod.
I more worried by the battery solution as Steve mentioned, having it off the camera would be great but it won't be an option here for many reason.
I will try to mount it without any rods straight on the top of the camera to at least keep it compact.
 
Which power solution do you currently use? V-Mount? Which Brick brand?

If you don't need long running times for your shots and if you have the time to switch through batteries between the takes you could try to get your hands on the 68 WH Enduras by IDX; http://idx-europe.co.uk/product/e-7s/

Maybe there are other brands out there with that size but they are pretty slim and lightweight. They don't last long (max. 30 Minutes I guess? I had 75WH ones and those lasted about 40 minutes) - but if you check the status often enough and if you have enough of them to switch through (on a positive energy balance charging-wise) that would be the most lightweight configuration I guess...

Or fire it up with an NP-1 Adapter maybe (did that with a dual one, should work with a single one also);
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/204171-REG/IDX_NH_100V_NH_100V_Single_NP_1_Holder.html
plus http://idx-europe.co.uk/product/np-l7s/
 
If you need to mount batteries on camera or on rails just go for a lightweight battery plate and the smaller, thinner batteries. As mentioned, you'll get reduced run times but if you have enough of them you can probably get by. For handheld I almost always go battery belt. For sticks, you could attach the battery plate to the sticks if it's a matter of keeping the camera body light enough to move around set. I think if you deck the camera out in carbon fiber parts you'll be able to take some of the weight off.
 
Which power solution do you currently use? V-Mount? Which Brick brand?

If you don't need long running times for your shots and if you have the time to switch through batteries between the takes you could try to get your hands on the 68 WH Enduras by IDX; http://idx-europe.co.uk/product/e-7s/

Maybe there are other brands out there with that size but they are pretty slim and lightweight. They don't last long (max. 30 Minutes I guess? I had 75WH ones and those lasted about 40 minutes) - but if you check the status often enough and if you have enough of them to switch through (on a positive energy balance charging-wise) that would be the most lightweight configuration I guess...

Or fire it up with an NP-1 Adapter maybe (did that with a dual one, should work with a single one also);
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/204171-REG/IDX_NH_100V_NH_100V_Single_NP_1_Holder.html
plus http://idx-europe.co.uk/product/np-l7s/

Thanks for your input Peter, I will work with a V-Mount, I will check these batteries options asap.

If you need to mount batteries on camera or on rails just go for a lightweight battery plate and the smaller, thinner batteries. As mentioned, you'll get reduced run times but if you have enough of them you can probably get by. For handheld I almost always go battery belt. For sticks, you could attach the battery plate to the sticks if it's a matter of keeping the camera body light enough to move around set. I think if you deck the camera out in carbon fiber parts you'll be able to take some of the weight off.

Thanks Steve, I was thinking about mounting the battery plate using the Bolt On Battery Mount from that brand we can't type the name here. It will allow me to get rid of the rail support.
Would you please elaborate a bit on decking the camera in carbon fiber? Do you mean I could replace some parts of the Red One Body with carbon fiber
 
I would start with carbon fiber rails if you are using rails. Then see if you can find carbon fiber handle. Get rid of as much heavy duty gack as possible. Ounces add up to pounds and pounds add up to a heavy camera. You want to make it as close to a box with a lens on it as possible. This is not always practical but if you want a lightweight R1 that's what I'd aim for.

It would be cool to have a R1 carbon fiber body like Fincher had for Social Network but Jarred said no go on those. Probably cost too much for a small market of potential customers.
 
I would start with carbon fiber rails if you are using rails. Then see if you can find carbon fiber handle. Get rid of as much heavy duty gack as possible. Ounces add up to pounds and pounds add up to a heavy camera. You want to make it as close to a box with a lens on it as possible. This is not always practical but if you want a lightweight R1 that's what I'd aim for.

It would be cool to have a R1 carbon fiber body like Fincher had for Social Network but Jarred said no go on those. Probably cost too much for a small market of potential customers.

I see, thanks a lot for the clarification Steve.
Red One Carbon fiber would have been damn cool ;)
 
I have a V-Lock battery belt for sale if of any interest to you, would be perfect.
 
Back
Top