Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Light flashes from Motion Mount?

John Barrett

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Points
16
I shot a music video last week, and finally got around to checking the footage and noticed flashes of light in a few of the shots. It looks like the RED PL Motion Mount was glitching and causing the flashes of moments without ND. Have you guys seen this before? Can I fix it in post? Why did this happen and how can I stop this from happening again? Thanks in advance!
Shot on RED SW - Motion PL - Leica Summircron-C - 4K HD 120fps - 180 degrees - Good black shade

https://youtu.be/0QzV93-j06k
 
I've seen it in cold temperatures. My fix for that situation is to tape heat pads to the outside of the mount and put a Barney and plastic bag on the cam. Was it cold on the shoot?
 
I see from the vid it looks pretty warm. I've had other issues because of corrosion on the mount contacts. Cleaning them made the issue go away. Worth a try.
 
I see from the vid it looks pretty warm. I've had other issues because of corrosion on the mount contacts. Cleaning them made the issue go away. Worth a try.

Yes, it was warm. Very strange glitch. Will clean contacts. Thank you.
 
Manual states -- 109.98 fps max -- perhaps there is the problem?
 
Manual states -- 109.98 fps max -- perhaps there is the problem?

Interesting! But I think they are referring to Soft and Square shutter modes as opposed to ND only mode, which I was in.

"The MOTION MOUNT Soft and Square shutters provide improvements in temporal aliasing and motion at frame rates up 109.98 fps, but are more effective at lower frame rates. For more information, go to Soft Shutter Angle or Square Shutter Angle"
 
I have seen a similar effect in my (EF) motion mount footage shot on Dragon. Shot in 60-80 degree weather.

Subscribed and will post footage if I replicate the problem, or scrub through a problem clip.
 
Back
Top