Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Last minute DP job 10 million views

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keith makes a great point, there have been plenty of horror projects posted on these boards, and no one has spoken up - though they are certainly more overtly violent.

What is it about this rap video that has spurred so much rage? There have been plenty of Rap videos before on these boards with equally aggressive tones...

Also there have been countless works posted objectifying women, and pushing the boundaries of sexual decency...and again...nary a peep.

What is about THIS video?

I ask because I'm generally curious.

Is it simply that in this video the possibility of violence feels more real? And undeniable? These are clearly real people in a real neighborhood with real guns - it doesn't have the comforting detachment of a slick shoot, or a calculated Hollywood product. Which is actually my favorite part about this video - its Dogme 95 aethetic gives it a blunt realism that has clearly hit a nerve.

I'm going to guess a different reason.... because it got 11 million views, and other rap videos posted to REDuser didn't get so many as that.

Many many posters in this thread have never had one of their videos get more views than that. Is natural to be jealous, but is wrong when that jealousy causes people to attack and rip into a person. (not saying this is true for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is one factor for some of the replies in this thread)
 
This is a tech forum, some people here are being assholes. Congrats on your vid.
 
I'm going to guess a different reason.... because it got 11 million views, and other rap videos posted to REDuser didn't get so many as that.

Many many posters in this thread have never had one of their videos get more views than that. Is natural to be jealous, but is wrong when that jealousy causes people to attack and rip into a person. (not saying this is true for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is one factor for some of the replies in this thread)

That had crossed my mind, but Im glad you said it so well.

Thx
 
Yup, sure is a lot of armchair Quarterbacking here from privileged, wealthy, white people (some using aliases on a real name forum).

The weird thing is, I feel like we might both have strong liberal opinions about certain things, but in my opinion a positive difference can be made in the world with a dialogue and open mindedness for coming to the discussion table rather than dismissing something as trash.

It's a weird world.
 
Last edited:
Would be much more wow if shot on Dragon Monochrome like the OP suggests.

Sorry, I fail to see the logic of how a different camera would alter your perception of this video.

From a technical perspective I would think the video would have a much higher wow factor if the director had allowed Keith the time to use his lighting skills, and supervise the color correction, or have it posted by an awesome colorist like Jake Blackstone or something...
 
He says with musket in hand . . . like Elmer Fudd ;-)

Love the debate of this trash video being a positive for this "artist" to feed his family and how it is a voice of urban reality. It's uninspired recycled, poorly produced, shit product packaged and sold to white suburban kids . . . you know, the ones who have money to buy "urban" branded stuff. Like beach culture/surf wear being sold in Malls in Oklahoma. Except, no young black man "in the game" will have a dollar left or even be alive past age 25. It's exploitation and cultural appropriation at best.

Lot's of crap gets looked at 10 million times. That is no measure of substance and certainly no source of professional jealously from anyone with ethics. Yup, if drug culture, gangs and weapons are the exclusive video subject matter with a child as the front man . . . you should walk away from the project and do something meaningful with your life.

Would be much more wow if shot on Dragon Monochrome like the OP suggests.

Bitch please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcpQmY0Wgvk

I know how we can solve this. Admins, you listening?

- A new section of the forum titled "Zeb"

- Zeb is the admin

- People post their videos asking for his feedback

- Zeb is only allowed to post here. The rest of RedUser is off limits

- Zeb gets a much needed outlet for his many thoughts and the rest of RedUsers are rid of his vile existence


Win/Win/Win
 
I believe it was you who just demanded I "back off". That seems a bit territorial and possesive . . . like you own this fine oasis of diverse thinkers ;-)

It's a fine line between speaking your mind and being an asshole. You are generally the latter, so anything you might have to say is lost on deaf ears because you can't control yourself.
 
Last edited:
Again, just a startling level of condescension for someone who appears to be from the Art Police and who wants to ensure only people who have been adequately educated to your arbitrary standard as to their respective responsibilities in promoting positive images society are allowed to publicly release content.

Ben, you are doing this again:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
 
"This video does not deserve a Participation Trophy just because it was Shot on RED nor because it has 10 million views. It is entirely derivative and artistically / technically vacant. "
Zeb


I thought the name REDUSER was self explanatory. If you used a RED camera you could post. My bad. I misunderstood the basic premiss of the forum.

Your views are interesting and uniquely yours but it seems you have major issues with this thread so why are you still posting?

Recap:
You don't like the video.
You don't like the message.
You don't like me. (I don't know you by the way.)
You don't like that many people have watched it.
You think it's, "entirely derivative and artistically / technically vacant."
We all learned this a long time ago.

We got it. You like nothing about the post. What else is there to say? We got it. Zeb hates it with a passion! I think everyone knows!

Really just let it go. There is nothing you, me or anyone here can do about this video now. So let's just agree to disagree and move on.
 
Read more slowly before you comment . . . comprehension seems to be a reoccurring challenge

Nice try...why don't you tell me what you meant and then I will tell you how it is interpreted by most people. Baby steps.

You said you thought that Keith and others would have a "wider perspective" after reading this thread, did you not? Pretty sure that is, word for word, what was said.

Again, feel free to clarify. :)
 
This thread is so annoying, can't believe it's still going back and forth, I'd be pissed if I was the OP
 
It's great you had so much viewers, if you can find more jobs thanks to it, it means the music video had its use, even with the hiccups it contains.

Politically, Zeb summerized it with his "checked". He has a point, he has several... the only thing is, he's being rude and it has nothing to do with pictures.
I don't care about political in a music video. It's a commercial with music. We shouldn't be judging on that, i have done things more violent in commercials for Armani recently. It's just violence in commercial is not on the screen, it's in the agency. It has the benefit of being true in your music video (well I hope it is !)

About your work only as I don't understand the lyrics, I have trouble understand rapping people, --english is not my native langage-- so I can speak only with the picture.
And to be honest, it's another rap music video, which is already worth mentionning.
Not good, not bad, just like the others which would be a bad thing only if you aimed at something different.
Considering it's a last minute job, I find it good enough.

Good enough is not ideal though, and about the picture, it has some good shots, let's be clear on that.
But the overal music video lacks contrast, everything is at the same level because of the way you shot (use NDs !). You seem to be in the center of the circle whith every one around you looking at the camera. This is a mass effects that works if you don't have depth of field, when everything is sharp, it looks flat and messy even in slowmo.
And when using longer focal lenght, bluriness became an effect of style, or it's simply not sharp.

About light, it's difficult to light so much people without a budget and a crew. But it's too obvious that there are no light directions, and when there is, we can see its the sun hitting hard, with shadows under the eye or right to the nose. So I guess there were no lights, maybe bounce on some shots. Without budget, I would have put some 4m x 4m diffusion on heavy stands with wheels to avoid it,. Cheap and simple.

I hope I'm not to rude, it's just a part of what I think about the video, to add something more usable than "it's great" & "it sucks".


Personal note : The shots with the money ! I thought about Wayne's World and started smiling. But it's more director aimed.
 
This thread is an excellent material for psychology studies.

Symptomatic reactions so far:

1) 'Nonono, stop talking, I don't want to hear it, this is a technical only forum, my brain hurts"

2) "Ethical crusading"

3) "Other guys are doing it as well, mom"

4) "Free art/art police"

5) "They are just jealous"


I'm going to guess a different reason.... because it got 11 million views, and other rap videos posted to REDuser didn't get so many as that.

Many many posters in this thread have never had one of their videos get more views than that. Is natural to be jealous, but is wrong when that jealousy causes people to attack and rip into a person. (not saying this is true for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is one factor for some of the replies in this thread)




“There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own Soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

Carl Gustav Jung
 
Thanks Bérenger for your comments.

I'm sure you missed it because I posted it a long time ago. I stated that I have a 1 ton grip/lighting trailer but was told that I didn't need it. I expected support on set. I brought my 2x4 SunBounce reflector though but it was only used a couple of times. Too many ways to go wrong with so many subjects. Also I didn't edit the video. I did use .6 ND all day. A .9 or a 1.2ND would have drawn the artist out more but that's not what DIR wanted.

This thread has become a surprise like the video. I would have never guessed this would have happened with this post. It's a music video that I shot on a RED Dragon with a cold call to shoot it the day before. I never thought the video would be seen much as it has since I didn't know the artist.

Well the post continues but I've moved on. I've done 3 shoots since this post started. Isn't it time to just move on?

Let's talk 8K!
:001_tt1:
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top