Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Is the ROKINON 14mm Ultra Wide Angle Lens ANY GOOD ??

George D.

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
N. California, USA
Have any of you Red-One owners ever used a Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens, adapted for Nikon or Canon, on your camera?

If so, what do you think about it? Is it sharp enough? Is the distortion bad?

I realize as far as lenses go, it is pretty cheap, but I just wanted some professional feedback on it's overall quality, etc.

We very rarely use wide angle lenses for our photography, so I was just wondering if the Rokinon would be any good at all for those rare times when we may need one.

Any comments or knowledge concerning this lens is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

.
 
I am absolutely in love with this lens. Distortion pretty much non-existent (rectilinear) and sharp as it gets for 14mm...

Using it on Scarlet thou, not RED ONE...

P

EDIT: You can not attach filters to the front of it (huge bulb), but I got away with squeezing a 77mm filter in the hood edges. It vignettes only at 5K and that too only a little...
 
Standby for this ( available in june or july)
 
I have this lens, but don't often use it, because I am more often using a lens set so as to have more consistent colour through the range of lenses, e.g. Zeiss. I find it is ok, but there is not a lot of "magic" about it. Ie it does not have character, or anything that special about it, that would make me want to use it that much, except that it is fairly wide.
 
Duclos Lenses will be offering a variation on the standard Rokinon by decoating the lenses.

The procedure performed by Duclos Lenses, deemed Rokinon•Raw, involves a precision polishing formula. This is achieved by removing the anti-reflective coating from specific surfaces of key elements within each lens. Each lens then offers a fine tuned yet expressive look. With the Rokinon•Raw process, these primes still retain a respectable amount of sharpness while introducing a wide range of flares and light kicks. The Rokinon Cine primes are an excellent choice for this procedure given their relatively low point of entry and fast aperture.

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/duclos-lenses-introduces-rokinon•raw-primes/
 
Why not just get the Tokina 11-16? The new cine version that's coming out? Due end of summer. Looks a winner for very WA shots.
 
even the 16-28 looks great. And we can get it in pl mount as well. Bit pricier but looks like a nice lens
 
I use the Tokina 11-16 on my R1-- non Dulcos ..still an amazing lens :D
 
Everyone loves the Tokina so much they hijacked your thread!! LOL

I have both Tokina 11-16 and the Rokinon 14. I haven't used the Rok a whole ot but have it to match the full set of Rokinon primes that I have (8, 14, 24, 35, 85), all cinevized. Matches well and I very much like the lenses for the price. Just waiting for the 50!!
 
I have an 8mm Rokinon that I just got. I'll do some tests and show some footage soon. All I got so far is the lightening storm the other day but the video looks kinda lame cuz of the strobbing quality of lightening even at 120fps. The stills are cool though.
 
Seems that video doesn't exist
I have 14 cine - wish it was faster - and I make sure not to have actors hang on edge of frame to avoid any sense of distortion.
I don't see that in the Audi ad - did you post process to correct edge of frame? Or maybe you just notice when something so recognizable like face.
I notice even at f4/f5.6 - maybe I am being picky ;)

Only If u stay wide open, the edges get blurry
https://vimeo.com/63772761
pass hyundai
9sec look to the right
 
I heard so much about how good is this lens that although I have the Leica R 15mm 2.8 I decided to buy it. This is a fantastic lens FOR THE MONEY. I returned it back to B&H after some test shots. No comparison whatsoever. Of course the Leica is6k also so there's no comparison there either that's why i said is good for the money.
 
Back
Top