Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Internal FPGA Error on Weapon

BrendanLeahy

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 3, 2012
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Have a Weapon Mg, and both on the previous firmware (6.3.27) and this latest one (6.3.47) I have gotten error messages along the lines of "Failed to upgrade/update Internal FPGA(s?)"

Now, the odd thing is that on both firmwares, this didn't show up during an actual firmware update - it happened randomly after the firmwares had been on the camera: once while I was at home booting up the camera (on 6.3.27 - AC power plugged in just two weeks ago - firmware ), and a few times in the field this past Thursday + Friday on 6.3.47 w/ v-mount and AC power.

At home on 6.3.27, I just shut the camera down, and booted it back up without any problems.

On the latest firmware, however, the camera boots up, but the Sidekick Mg and 7" Touch LCD (DSMC[SUP]2[/SUP]) failed to have their displays fire up. Power goes on, then dual green flashing lights, then a steady green light.

I have no clue what combination of force upgrade/downgrade/factory reset I did the few times to actually get the camera to display/show up again, but it did until I powered down - then, same issue.

Removed modules on modules, and from what it appears, the Sidekick Mg may be the culprit, but am waiting for bomb squad to get back to me.

I've attempted to downgrade the firmware, but when I do get the camera working, it still shows 6.3.47

Has anyone else had this issue, or with their Internal FPGAs in general? Why would the Sidekick module be causing trouble for that component?

Admittedly, I had a pretty stressful day on Thursday because of this - I was filming bison, and the two other camera guys with Blackmagics looked at me with that "Well, that's RED for you..." look :/

UPDATE 10/23/16:

Just tried booting the camera several times again + hard reset - can confirm the Weapon Mg will not get out of the green/flashing green/green "no display" mode regardless of what modules I have off (I stripped it to everything but the Base I/O module for power).

I've sent off an update to the bomb squad, but if anyone has other solutions, I'm open to them as I'm technically booked to shoot for clients specifically with my Weapon Mg this week and next :/
 
Last edited:
I had an iteration of this issue on my MG Weapon, but with no screens showing any life. It was odd because I literally just powered down one day, grabbed something to drink, and attempted to boot the camera back up 5 minutes later with no resolve. Just flashing green lights. Like you, tried pulling off everything in hopes something was the culprit... but the camera had to be sent in after I tried everything from button resets, upgrades, and downgrades.

They fixed the cam within a week, which was nice. Mostly odd because the LOG didn't have any issues (I assume because the camera wasn't talking). Noted some sort of update needed to my Base Expander as well, so it might be the safer option.
 
Hi,
I got my Epic-W a few days ago,
and am seeing some issues when booting the camera. It's an intermittent issue, but happens very often :
- Sometimes it boots well
- Sometimes it boots well but I get the famous half white / half black screen, which gets back to normal once I unplug and re-plug the touch monitor
- Sometimes it gets stuck while booting, and the monitor shows no image, the Wifi is off (no foolcontrol available) and I can't launch a rec, so it's not just the monitor, the whole camera just hangs while booting.

Latest firmware 6.3.47, tried re-installing it but still the same.
I/O V-lock module, Canon mount, Red Brick, 5" touch LCD, Top WC plate' with lemo adaptor, tried with different cables, tried booting without the monitor, nothing helps.

Opened a support ticket and sent a log file, but I'm curious if others have had similar issues with Weapon or Epic-W ?
The change log for 6.3.47 says "Fixed WEAPON HELIUM intermittent startup failure", so it seems they are aware of a problem here ?

Thanks :)
 
Darn! Ok, I'll see what the bomb squad says, but that sucks to know ahead of time I may not have my camera for a week or more now with all these jobs lined up :001_unsure:


Just keep your accessories and rent a body only from borrowlenses lensrentals or something similar, shouldn't be that much of a hit if you only get the body for a week or so
 
Back
Top