Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

In-Out Frames input frustration

Thom Steinhoff

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
770
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Website
www.rocketbaby.com
There must be a way to stop in a shot and say "This is my In" or "This is my out" but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I need sleep.

I am trying to set the in and out frames to avoid needless rendering.

So far I can only do it through typing a frame number or click dragging to scrub it.

Thanks in advance.

Thom
 
That's the only option right now tom. Change the in/out in the shot tab by putting in new numbers.
 
Thanks for your response.

Do you know if there is any way to get what frame number I am currently on without doing the math?

The Frame number listed to the left of the timeline seems to be the frame from the beginning of the sequence.
 
You can also use the 'i' and 'o' keys to set in out marks. Arrow keys - up plays forward, down plays reverse, left steps single frame reverse, right single frame forward.

Or are you thinking of something else?
 
He might be talking about something I am struggling with. I've see talk of "building a timeline" in RedCine but say you load 4 shots ... you can mark IN and OUTs individually within a shot but I can find a way to trim all the shots down in RedCine to arrive at an edit.

I know it's not an editor but many posts have led me to believe it can edit enough to do a conform from FCP. I've successfully loaded a few xmls with RedTrip so I know it can do it but just doing to manually in the app escapes me.

Am I just an idiot missing that part?
 
You can also use the 'i' and 'o' keys to set in out marks. Arrow keys - up plays forward, down plays reverse, left steps single frame reverse, right single frame forward.

Or are you thinking of something else?

Maybe I'm crazy... Or missing something obvious...

Say I have a timeline with 4 shots and shot 3 has a bunch of false starts at the beginning and crap at the end that I want to trim.

With my radio buttons placed at "Shot" I have the Shot settings read "In: 1" Out: 450" I know that if I change these numbers, the resultant shot will be trimmed. I can change those numbers by hand--but I want to scrub them to pick the start visually rather than by guessing.

So I scrub to the middle of the shot and hit 'I', a marker is placed but the "in" on the shot settings still says 1. I can scrub some more and hit "O" which also places a marker, but the number still says 450. As far as I can tell the I and O relate to the overall timeline not to the individual shot.

I know that if I change the "in" to say 50, and the "out" to say 100, the resultant clip will only render 50 frames long. When I scrub to frame 50 of that shot, there is nothing I can find to tell me I am at frame 50 of that shot even if I wanted to enter it by hand. I would hope hitting "I" or maybe Option-I would transfer the current point in the shot to the In marker--but it doesn't--it seems to be related only to the entire timeline.

This may be a simple, well documented bug and I am happy to wait for the next release if that is the answer, but I was hoping I was missing something!

Thom
 
The brackets to the right of the play buttons etc should give you in/out in RedCine as well, but for some reason you have to set the out part first, then set the in part?!

I concur with your idea that a clip should be clipped on the timeline so we can kind of edit something roughly, or perhaps another option would be to set a visually hidden frame handle size so you can output the clips with exactly 24 frames front/back for example.

Cheers,

Paul
 
but for some reason you have to set the out part first, then set the in part?!

Hmmm... I don't have that problem. But I have plenty of others like REDCINE simply losing my ins/outs on the shots screen. [/QUOTE]
 
Back
Top