Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Horrible magenta flare caused by highlights

I've seen this one as well but with a nasty red orb like flare attached as well.

It seem to happen in the highest contrast situations, like 100% clipped white and sorta absolute black.

How ow much to you have to clip the whites to make it happen? (Or are the whites even clipped?)

Just by eye it looks like the outside windows are about 2-3 stops over clipping. (With all stoplights on?)

what happens if you expose at or near clipping and then bring up the shadows later?

what if you post process this shot at 50 or 100 ISO and then recover what you can out of the shadow area.

I cant tell if it's an OLPF reflection or some kind of pixel mirroring.

Battistella
 
I had this kind of flares in heavy overexposing picture with different cmos sensors (M, MX, Dragon, F55)
I think its one of the downside of cmos technology.

Too much clipping in high contrast situations, and you have that.
 
The term you are looking for with this effect is CMOS Horizontal Smearing. It occurs in other systems and Dragon is prone to it in extreme contrast situations.
 
'A blind man would be happy to be see it', as they say. I thought the frame-up was far more average than the problem identified, personally. But still, hat's off to all the pixel peepers who make this camera more aware in extreme conditions. It is what makes RED great. Being able to table these issues in a forum that makes a difference. WOW! I am always impressed by the work you guys do, and how you discuss it and drill down. Big thanks to Phil Holland. I've read everything you have posted, with great interest. If I come up lacking, it is my eyes. Not yours. Maybe a better JPEG illustrating the problem could help people like me.
 
on Epic i have encountered thin barely visible "white lines" when shooting towards blown out windows. - a trick was to add some smoke in the room, and the white lines seemed to go away.
A magenta smear line like the one posted here, looks a lot more "serious"...
 
The term you are looking for with this effect is CMOS Horizontal Smearing. It occurs in other systems and Dragon is prone to it in extreme contrast situations.
I have seen it with CCD cameras and CCD scanners on occasion, too. If you overload digital devices too hard, they blow up in interesting ways, not many of which look good.

I'd just back off on the exposure and compensate as best you can in post with color correction.
 
I have seen it with CCD cameras and CCD scanners on occasion, too. If you overload digital devices too hard, they blow up in interesting ways, not many of which look good.

I'd just back off on the exposure and compensate as best you can in post with color correction.

Yes. Typically on CCD sensors you get a vertical streak. Some people are now experiencing that on a couple of the CCD based cameras on the market.
 
How does this exhibit on Epic? Is it more or less than Dragon Phil?
Sometimes I get a strong grid pattern on my image if I'm filming straight into the sun. Not very flattering. Haven't seen it that often though.
/Andreas
 
Back
Top