Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Horizontal Magenta CMOS Lines Continued

That one is subtle and could almost be a flare. when the bokeh lights on right frame disappear, the shift happens. If this was a studio environment, I would be less inclined to think it's flair, but since it is in a moving car. it could also perhaps be something to do with the slow motion and the shutter speed and angle.

Can you reproduce this in just a normal setting, not on the move?

battistella
 
That one is subtle and could almost be a flare. when the bokeh lights on right frame disappear, the shift happens. If this was a studio environment, I would be less inclined to think it's flair, but since it is in a moving car. it could also perhaps be something to do with the slow motion and the shutter speed and angle.

Can you reproduce this in just a normal setting, not on the move?

battistella

Yeah I've had this issue since I got my Dragon. I can reproduce it anywhere, but it's random. It's nothing to do with flaring, which is what I thought at first, to me it seems almost power / electrical related. When I first saw it I thought it was lights turning on and off in buildings around me at night. Anyway, just trying to get this out there and see if anyone else has seen this. I opened and filed a support ticket with this and the magenta lines months ago and they said it was being looked into. Now that more people are using them, I'm hoping that it's either common or uncommon and needs to be sent in.
 
How are you powering? Does it happen on battery and on mains?


i haven't seen this on either. If it persist I'd be thinking about sending it in for a check.


Battistella
 
Yeah exactly what I thought when I first saw it, but it happens when powered by RedVolt / V-Lock and mains. We use the Redvolts a lot because we're on a MoVI a lot of the time now.
 
I see it too

I see it too

I would like to confirm that I also see the magenta line issues.


Only when looking at extremely overexposed areas against darker areas. Of course, that is the pretty images, so RED needs to fix this or give us an update on it.

A010_c014.jpg


you can download the r3d @ http://clients.digitalcavemedia.com/reduser/magenta_lines.R3D
 
Anyone running into gamma shifting issue? This has happened since I've had my Dragon, wondering if anyone else is running into this.

Blackshaded properly, obviously underexposed, but I get this a lot on low-light footage.

It's 180MB ProResHQ file :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161718/GAMMA_SHIFT_6KFF_2000ISO_RLF.mov

I am using 800-2000 a lot in low light situations and it's usable, noisy but usable. I do feel that the Epic was never good past 1280 because of the blue splotchy noise, I have to say with the Dragon they've done a really decent job with it. It's not what was described when they announced it, but the higher ISOs are a lot better than Epic. The mid-range ISOs do have a little more noise than Epic.

Anyway, any thoughts on how to remedy this gamma shifting or whatever it is?

We've had the same issue with our Epic-M Dragon. Some kind of strange flicker in the noise/shadows.

Seems to pop up only when doing very low light stuff. I don't think it affect the entire picture as it seems to disappear when we crush the blacks and the noise away. However, it is giving me problems right now on a shot with lifted blacks (and a lot of Neat Video), which would work out fine if it wasn't of this flicker/gamma shift.

We can also clearly see it even more when booting up the camera, before the camera is warmed up, with the lens cap on.
The Touch LCD will show a lot of noise and also what seems like the same flicker, but exaggerated.
 
I see the same strange flicker on lowlight stuff :-/

We've had the same issue with our Epic-M Dragon. Some kind of strange flicker in the noise/shadows.

Seems to pop up only when doing very low light stuff. I don't think it affect the entire picture as it seems to disappear when we crush the blacks and the noise away. However, it is giving me problems right now on a shot with lifted blacks (and a lot of Neat Video), which would work out fine if it wasn't of this flicker/gamma shift.

We can also clearly see it even more when booting up the camera, before the camera is warmed up, with the lens cap on.
The Touch LCD will show a lot of noise and also what seems like the same flicker, but exaggerated.
 
I don't remember seeing this ever on mx and I shot a ton of low light stuff at concerts in very similar conditions. Would be nice to get some official word on this, I'm a bit concerned.
 
Back
Top