Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

help with shooting paparazzi scene

Paul Russell

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 27, 2011
Messages
1,693
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Malaysia and Singapore
Website
www.paulrussellphoto.com
hi

I wonder if anyone can help with the answer to this puzzle

I will be shooting a music video in a couple of weeks that will require a paparazzi scene. Lots of flashes going off.
To complicate it, we will be shooting at night and the director wants slow motion (probably shooting at 50fps for a 25fps deliverable).

But I don't want to get any rolling shutter tears in the footage. Would I be correct in assuming that a fast shutter speed (say 90°) will be less likely to attract the rolling shutter half-exposed frame effect?
 
You can try adding simple camera flash VFX in post if you're worried about potential tearing/shutter issues.
 
But I don't want to get any rolling shutter tears in the footage. Would I be correct in assuming that a fast shutter speed (say 90°) will be less likely to attract the rolling shutter half-exposed frame effect?

If anything that will hurt matters! In theory you want to be increasing your exposure time, not decreasing it, although in practice I've not found 360° shutters to help matters much. Stay at 180°, and if you have a Motion Mount there are a 2 modes that should reduce strobe tearing (soft shutter or square shutter).

Without a motion mount you're limited to trying to find practical flashes/lights with a longer duration than a standard camera flash. I did a quick & dirty 'slo-mo paparazzi' setup a while ago with a couple of 2k tungsten lights run through a dimmer, then pulsed on and off. Then a bit of keyframing in post to punch up the effect, and voila:
 
your only solution to aquire this in camera is to rent/buy a motion mount - or add the flashes in post
 
Paul, if you´re on DSMC (not weapon) and have a SH you might trigger a flash from your camera using the sync port of the SH and a dedicated button mapped to "Strobe: trigger". That works fine and might add some more reality, but for whatever reason it is limited to a shutter speed set to 1/75 or longer.
 
Thanks, Ulf. I was considering that, but they want a bunch of flashes, so there's no one one flash that I could sync to without the others causing the problem.
Stiil, they've opted for the best route given the budget, which is always very tight out here.
Cheers.
 
After some discussion with the Director it's been decided that they'll add the flashes in post.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Another option would've been to rent a Sony F55, which has a global shutter, is decent enough in low light and can do slow motion.
 
Back
Top