Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

HDR 3D video shot with RED ONE MX on 21st Century 3D BX3

Jason Goodman

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
New York City & Los Angeles
This video was shot last August in Monterey, CA during the Concours d'Elegance at Pebble Beach. This was NOT shot with Epic, it was NOT shot with HDRx. This was shot with a normal pair of RED ONE cameras upgraded with MX sensors and processed with regular off the shelf software applications. I've posted it on the 21st Century 3D channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvzFWoPR4AI

As far as I know, this is the first demonstration of high dynamic range stereoscopic video.

48 bit 2D jpg 2000 still is available for download
http://public.me.com/nycjason
password is "reduser"

here is an A/B comparison

http://web.me.com/nycjason/Site_35/Cobra_427_HDR_test.html
 
Good stuff!
Two observations if you like.
1) You might want to use the Youtube swap tags i.e yt3d:swap=true (this will make the 3d video work proper for anaglyph glasses / polarized glasses)
2) I guess you've shot this video parallel? (even if on a beamsplitter). You could try using a bit of HIT on it, as right now "infinity" looks like its starting at screen depth and everything else is popping out.
I like to push things back a bit to give some depth when shooting parallel. (however this may just be to my taste only)

Thanks for sharing!

Regards

** edit: oh wait! I didnt notice youtube now has a "swap right-left" in the user 3D menu. Cool!
 
Last edited:
Very interesting thank you for sharing. How do I view the .jpf file? I tried opening in Nuke but no luck. Do you have left and tiff image sequences?
 
Clyde,

Thank you for that input. I did attempt to use the yt3d:swap=true tag and have used it in the past. For a currently unknown reason it was not working so I just left it alone. I did shoot parallel, and I did apply HIT to the image. This is how I wanted it to look.
 
Back
Top