Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Full Spectrum OLPF from Kipper Tie on Monochrome Dragon (IR Footage)

Robert Dyck

New member
Joined
May 20, 2014
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0

At Reducation LA, we did a few quick tests with John Marchant's new OLPF on the Monochrome Dragon. We shot 6K 2:1 at 2000 ISO under Tungsten Dedolights to see what effect it had on skin. I've done a little write up about my impressions on my blog but thought I would share the footage directly with you folks. This is in no way a comprehensive test, just good fun.

Here is the write-up:

http://www.robertdyck.com/blog/
 
I just got my FS OLPF last night in the mail and quickly pointed it at my dogs before the sun was fully set last night... The first image was shot indirect sunlight and the second image was from this morning in direct light. I am super excited to use this thing in Death Valley this week... :)
 

Attachments

  • NALA.jpg
    NALA.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IR_TEST_2.jpg
    IR_TEST_2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 4
DC Chavez said:
I just got my FS OLPF last night in the mail and quickly pointed it at my dogs before the sun was fully set last night...

That second shot is awesome, thank you for sharing! These are from the color Dragon? I really want those OLPFs, but I will wait for the Weapon version.
 
Thanks Stacey. The first one was from 10 minutes after I pulled the OLPF from my mailbox, sun was already down over the house next door. Shot 2 was in early morning direct sunlight, where I think this sort of photography shines.

Yes, shot on color Epic Dragon, converted to grayscale in RCX. The 720nm filter is red, so the image is a sort of washed out pinkish straight out of camera. Pretty hard s-curve, desaturation and contrast bump to get it where it is. Still learning the quirks of shooting with this...
 
@DC
Death Valley was over 120 f yesterday. Are you sure you want to go there at this time of year?
 
@DC
Death Valley was over 120 f yesterday. Are you sure you want to go there at this time of year?

Randall- Kia is paying me to shoot their Warm Weather testing that they do on their vehicles. Yeah, I'll go... :)

Might need to update my blackshades and fan control out there... :)
 
I just got my FS OLPF last night in the mail and quickly pointed it at my dogs before the sun was fully set last night... The first image was shot indirect sunlight and the second image was from this morning in direct light. I am super excited to use this thing in Death Valley this week... :)

Did you have any other filters in front of your full spectrum OLPF when you shot those 2 lovely dog snaps?
 
Did you have any other filters in front of your full spectrum OLPF when you shot those 2 lovely dog snaps?

Yes, I have a 77mm screw on 720nm filter from SRB Photographic on the lens (Canon 16-35 2.8L). I bought this filter from KipperTie when I got the OLPF.
 
While prepping for a shoot and checking the gate, I shot this IR video on Epic-D w/ KipperTie Full Spectrum OLPF


Shot in 5.5K WS 3:1 on Zeiss(Contax) 35mm/2.8 around F/11 at 400ISO

Filter stack order from lens:
Hoya R72 IR filter (720nm)
Tiffen low-con 1
Tiffen Black Pro-Mist 1/4
Tiffen Orange

UHD scale down to fit and simple S curve applied in Resolve
 
Last edited:
Do IRND's fight back IR equally to regular NDs in the normal spectrum? I've shot a bit of IR but always had to crank the shutter up to fight back the iris otherwise I was nearly stopped down to 22 in midday sun.
 
Do IRND's fight back IR equally to regular NDs in the normal spectrum? I've shot a bit of IR but always had to crank the shutter up to fight back the iris otherwise I was nearly stopped down to 22 in midday sun.

Not sure i understand your question.

BUT

Don't use IRNDs when shooting for IR

The orange filter acts as 1 1/3 stop ND and acts as a minus blue filter (blue sneaks its way in sometimes even w/ lower bandwidth IR highpass filters)
 
Last edited:
Say It Again Sam - Day 2 - Monitor Still

SIAS_040117_03.jpg


iPhone photo (of monitor), desaturated, and cropped


Full spectrum plus orange filter kills for B&W
 
Here are some stills from the dailies for SIAS (in no specific order):

SIAS_D_03.jpg


MyStart.png


SIAS_D_18.jpg


SIAS_D_27.jpg


SIAS_D_11b.jpg


SIAS_D_17.jpg


SIAS_D_29.jpg


SIAS_D_08.jpg
 
Last edited:
For those interested in using the kippertie FS ZL OLPF but are concerned about "demon eyes" in close-ups...

if you keep the lights at a perpendicular angle to the camera, at least near 90 degrees, the eyes look OK
From trial and error, it appears IR light bounces at a 90 degree or so angle off of human eyes.
And the closer a lamp gets to being parallel with camera, the more soulless eyes looks.
Also, a schneider 750 IR cut helps in difficult situations while still getting some IR.
(getting killer output from tungsten; the key below was a 300W w/ double scrim)

QOH_IR_01.jpg


SEH_IR_02.jpg


JTB3_IR_01.jpg


JTB3_IR_02.jpg





And here is an extra special treat for my fellow redusers...
An early preview musical composition from pre-production for... Shhhh, It's a secret! :thumbsup:
(starts around 10sec mark)


 
Last edited:
Back
Top