Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Flexible crop option

Policar

Banned
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Maybe there's something already like this and I simply overlooked it, but I think the following would be an useful feature:

Seeing as most people don't yet edit in 4k and instead edit in 1080p, I think one of the most valuable uses of the extra resolution isn't for added sharpness but rather for flexibility with respect to cropping. Maybe there's too much head room in a shot, or a shot isn't quite level (not all floors are, after all, so setting a tripod level isn't as simple as maneuvering the air bubble). In these cases, the ability to crop to something less than 4k and export to another format would be very valuable.

Something like the crop tool in photoshop (iPhoto has an excellent one as well) where you can set up horizon guides, pick an aspect ratio, and scale/move/rotate would be great. While this is certainly possible in post with no resolution loss, it's a huge pain to export to 4k tiffs, crop in after effects, then go from after effects to an editing codec. And simply exporting to the correct 1080p/720p editing codec and cropping in the NLE means an unnecessary loss of resolution that cropping from raw wouldn't introduce.

Or does this feature exist? I've only used the program a few times....
 
It's already there in RedCine :
set your project size to whatever you want (1920x1080 for example).
Then go to the "shot" tab and play with the Scale and Offset buttons.
You'll be able to crop your image as you want.
You also have some presets like "fit height", "fit width", "no scaling"...

Nils.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Banned
  • #3
Thanks, I'll try that out. Does it rotate, too?
 
Back
Top