Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Firmware update 6.0.28 killed the iris control of my Epic Dragon

George Nelson

Active member
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California
Hello all, I don't post here very often but I'm in the need of some help. I just sent an email a few seconds ago to my bomb rep to ask for help with this matter, but I'm considered that my Epic Dragon is toast and possibly damaged the internal motors in my Zeiss ZE 85mm, 35mm, and 28mm lenses.

To make a long story short, but if you want more detail on the matter because it peaked your interest just let me know. When I was updating to the new 6.0.28 firmware the updating peripherals, the update bar stopped moving just before the end and sat there for over 20 minutes, but the timecode was still counting. At around 12 minutes the camera started to smell like the bad kind of hot and I placed it along the path of some AC to help cool the camera which seemed to help a bit. I was afraid to force a turn off on the camera due to the warning box on the update but I ended up having to do this after conferring with two people I know who shoot on REDs during this issue.

Upon the restart of the camera everything seemed to pop right up and the camera said that the peripherals were all updated and I verified that the new firmware took. I installed my Zeiss 50mm onto the camera and it seemed allow the iris control, after a little bit I put on my Zeiss 85mm and I heard an audible clicking sound like a clock and the Iris started to stop down by itself without changing what it was set at on the LCD. This happened with also my 35mm, and 28mm, but my Zeiss 21mm, and my Canon 8-15L seemed to work without the clicking and visual stopping down.

I switched to my PL mount but all that I was able to see was what the sensor sees, the timecode information, and Mag information on the bottom left.

I went to the previous firmware and everything still is doing the same thing but now there is an "NA" where the F-stop is supposed to be. I re downloaded the new firmware and this install went light-speed compared to the first one but everything is still messed up with the "NA" in place of the F-stop.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can fix this?

Could the clicking damage the irises on my lenses?

I enclosed a photo of the location where the bar stopped moving at.

I hope I covered everything and made sense. I'm extremely tired at this point.

Thank you all,
George
 

Attachments

  • 20150802_125136.jpg
    20150802_125136.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
I think a lot of people had issues with that firmware version and the Canon mount.

I just got a new Dragon and it came with that version. I had lots of issues with my Canon lenses not being recognised, N/A where the f-stop should have been and it was saying "Mount: Not Detected." It was really inconsistent. Worked some time and others not.

I had to do a force Rediscover and then the lenses would work - but it required a reboot.

I updated to the new firmware xxxxxxxxx.31 and it seemed to fix it. Did have one time today when adusting the f stop that it wigged out and stopped all the way down really fast, but it was just the one time. It looks like this new version resolved my issues.
 
I'm going to try the new update today. I really hope that it will fix the issues with the lenses connected with my EF mount.

I have to get back into production. I'm getting antsy not being able to get back into production.
 
Sorry it took me so long to reply but I just got word on my EF mount that was not functioning properly after the overheating during the firmware update. The technicians at RED want to "Replace the lens mount board and lens mount flex due to no display on touch screen." For $250.

On my EF mount when I had it on my Dragon I could see a display but on my PL mount I don't see any touchscreen functions. Everything before the Firmware update was completely awesome with my camera and this problem happened first thing after the Firmware update.

I don't like to pull the I know more then the techs card because their bench test could of shown them faulty cards on the mount, but since the camera was in an overheat situation (my top tactical plate was extremely hot to touch over the vents) this could of damaged the circuits while they were in a charged state on the EF mount. If this damage was caused by the update then I would imagine that they should cover to cost of the repair. My camera brain is still under warranty.

I'm bringing my experience as an Avionics (2A553A) in the Air Force. I've seen plenty of odd things happen with electronics.
 
I am having the same problem with the Ziess ZE lenses. I know a lot of people are. Trying to get word from red.
 
Thank you! My camera has been down for a long time. I lost a quick rental gig and a current project is in jeopardy of being late. Red wants me to pay to replace the circuitry on the mount for something other then what I sent it in for and say they want to "Replace the lens mount board and lens mount flex due to no display to touch screen."

At least I shot some video of the lens clicking down with the menu on the touch screen working. Unfortunately my PL mount has no menu system with the new firmware. Both of my mounts were with my Epic when it was just an MX chip before I upgraded it. My 4 years of experience working in Avionics in the Air Force is telling me that RED possibly changed circuitry on the mounts at some point and there is a compatibility issue.



I am having the same problem with the Ziess ZE lenses. I know a lot of people are. Trying to get word from red.
 
Back
Top