Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Feature shot with Red Epic Monochrome wins Best First Film at Palm Springs Film Fest

Olivier Boonjing

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Hello everybody,

my name is Olivier Boonjing, I’m the very happy cinematographer of a movie called “Death by Death” (“Je me tue à le dire” is the original French title).

I’ll keep it short: it’s a small Belgian indie feature film (budget is 750 000 $) that was shot with a Red Epic Monochrome (probably one of the first?). It recently won the New Voices/New Visions award at the 2016 Palm Springs Film Festival. Here’s the press release: http://www.psfilmfest.org/festival/news/detail.aspx?NID=432&FID=78&year=2016

Xavier Seron, the film’s director has shot all of his shorts in B&W, mostly on film. I knew from the beginning that there was only one camera worth testing and it was the Red Epic Monochrome (Dragon and Weapon were not out yet back then). I was very lucky that our rental company (Lites in Belgium) accepted to buy one. It only took an hour to test and we knew it was the right choice. Many have since commented it feels like a different kind of B&W, I can only agree, it was a joy to use. We used Zeiss Super Speed lenses in 4K and 5K and some old school Tiffen filters.

Here’s a link to the movie’s trailer: http://vimeo.com/151651635

Just a small note: the Youtube compression kills the film grain we added so it might look softer than the DCP. There was close to no noise to start with but as the director likes grain, we added quite a bit of scanned grain. It was added directly on the log file so it feels “alive”, feels true on the big screen. Post production was mainly done in 4K and 5K in Adobe Premiere CC and After Effects CC before a final screening checkin 2K and corrections on a Nucoda.

Here’s a review in English: http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/death-by-death-review-1201679670/

The film will be released in Belgium in April. Sales contacts have been made for France and the US, fingers crossed.

Feel free to ask me any questions, hope you'll enjoy it!


All the best,

Olivier Boonjing
+32 477 84 78 65

12143345_949950051739605_500628377818782103_n.png
 
Last edited:
This looks Fabulous, great casting, script, acting and a visually simple but brilliant style.

I can't wait to see it

Thanks for sharing Olivier......
 
Many many thanks! I'll let you know if it's released one way or another.
 
Back
Top