Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Fastest way to generate proxies - Software scaling

Jonathan B.

Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi there!

I've been on a couple of shoots with our new RED Epic, and an issue is that it always take quite a deal of time to generate proxies for HD productions. We are shooting 5k or 4K as 2K would result in a need for wider angle lenses and more distortion. I need to generate ProRes proxies in HD. What's the fastest setup? Particularly, concerning the Software scaling, I found no information about the processing time of each of the 8 scaling algorithms.

- Debayer : I user 4k 1/4th
- Software scaling, which one if the fastest? Does it matters that much?

Some other tips to speed up the generation of proxies? (We're on the field, as for now we use a Macbook Pro, we might take an iMac if needed, but a Macpro is quite some hassle)

Thanks :-)

Jonathan
 
Jonathan,

Without a RedRocket setup it will always be painfully slow. The 4/5k rawcode is one of the curses and blessings
of the system.
Lots of information requires lots of processing power.

cheers

axel
 
What Macbook Pro do you have? If you have a 17" with PCIexpress , I would suggest getting a mobile rocket from Maxx digital. This will considerably speed up your production. Check for "mobile red rocket" here in the forums...

EDIT-Axel beat me to it! :)
 
STRIKE !!!!

would also check what the sonnet thunderbird PCIe enclosure is doing.
if you put the rocket in there you can daisy chain it with drives for higher
speed or use an existing expresscard34 slot to connect esata harddrives.

If you do not have the 6k for that setup I can recommend a very good book
(truly worth reading) to pass the time

http://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Slowness-Sten-Nadolny/dp/1589880242/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327509806&sr=8-1




What Macbook Pro do you have? If you have a 17" with PCIexpress , I would suggest getting a mobile rocket from Maxx digital. This will considerably speed up your production. Check for "mobile red rocket" here in the forums...

EDIT-Axel beat me to it! :)
 
Back
Top