Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Fastest Way to Epic-W

Domenic Barbero

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2011
Messages
1,973
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Seattle/Portland/LA
Website
www.domenicthedp.sqsp.com
Ive got some clients already in talks for a couple 8k shoots. Ive got my scarlet w already in hand for a few months now. What might be faster......

1. Sell the body now and put in a preorder for new scarlet w to upgrade..

or

2. Trade in my current SW through RED and upgrade to epic w

or

3. Sell Scarlet W now, buy brand new brain right from RED. (thanks bob)

Anyone think 1 option is better than the other? Brent?

PS if option 1 is easiest, I have a basically new SW brain and package to sell. :)
 
i think 3 too, I am sure RED will put in consideration folks who want to buy straight in favour of passing up a 10k discount which quite huge. That should get one in your hand ASAP
 
If I were you I'd try to find someone who put in an early preorder for a Scarlet-W who hasn't yet received their camera and isn't planning on upgrading to an Epic-W and work out a deal where they place an Epic-W order on your behalf & they get your Scarlet-W. You get an Epic-W at the discounted price thatt is sitting at the front of the line & they no longer have to wait for their Scarlet-W. Win/win
 
Last edited:
I'll take your S-W brain if you are selling.
 
I asked this in the Update Thread:
(09-23-2016, 05:49 PM)
So if I switch my Raven order to Scarlet-W before Oct 11th, then upgrade to Epic-W on October 11th, the original Raven timestamp will pass all the way to Epic-W order?

Wonder if I'd rather do that or if I'd rather have a camera in my hands sooner...

(09-23-2016, 06:16 PM)
yes... remember the whole basis of this program is for those that are still waiting on cameras and to reduce the load on the Scarlet-W backlog, all the other guys that are getting thrown a bone get to wait behind those. This may look like our normal upgrade program but it's not.. so the normal rules don't apply and we can modify everything as we go along to whatever gets us out of that backorder hole the quickest.

The only exception to that is of course brand new stand alone Helium camera orders, thats the absolute quickest path, but not a path most of you I assume will be taking.

Things are always subject to change, of course. For example: when I had asked, there was no direct path from Raven to Epic-W; now there is one. That said, I haven't heard anything different so far. Fastest way to Epic-W is going to be buying one outright.

As far as pricing goes:
(09-13-2016, 07:57 AM)
Epic-W will be $30k new.
 
I think there will be a fair amount of folks prepared to swing the bat at $30K, just get to market early.
 
Buying one outright will absolutely be the fastest path. It was the same way with the early carbon Weapon upgrades; you could buy one immediately but had to wait in line to upgrade.
 
Damn, so people willing to pay the full $30k basically get front of the line.

Yup if you wanna play the game. You get first dibs you can make the money back in 6 months since no one has them. Just like all the Stormtropper Helium owners right now they laughing at the bank. People paying a premium for sure.

After everyone gets theirs, the prices go down rentals wise since Red owners always lower their prices and don't stick to their guns like Arri owners. Even heard rumors of Camtec dropping their Phantom 4K Flex prices and all the Phantom Tech Owner Ops got pissed cause they all had to drop to compete.

It's nasty game out there. At this point in time theres no reason to have the latest and greatest unless you have deep pockets or the rental game down and clients lined up.

I'm on a showtime gig and we still shooting garbage 2K hahaha I mean really 5K Epic-MX Sensor and greater is all you really need.
 
Back
Top