Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Extra $1000 (more or less) for HDRx on Scarlet?

Extra $1000 (more or less) for HDRx on Scarlet?


  • Total voters
    486
If RED DSC put HDRx on Scarlet from the beginning then they can count that Scarlet will fast probably become far the most popular digital camera on the market ever...

HDRx should be a crucial part of that success...
 
I understand those who say EPIC needs to be significantly better, and I agree.

But if someone asks me if I want to pay $1,000.- more for HDR, I will say YESSSSS!!!

Either way I'll be happy. And tools are tools, what matters is what you do with them.
 
I understand those who say EPIC needs to be significantly better, and I agree.

But if someone asks me if I want to pay $1,000.- more for HDR, I will say YESSSSS!!!

Either way I'll be happy. And tools are tools, what matters is what you do with them.

That about sums it up for me...
 
YES. I will pay more for HDR in Scarlet.
Any accessory, tripod, light, lens adapter, mics, worth getting will cost this, and HDR is the number one accessory I can think of for this or any other camera. Being it onboard or extra module, please make it happen.
Thank you RED.
Nuno Ribeiro.

this would make both scarlet Fixed/S35 perfect A Cams and B Cams, for intercuting with EPIC family.
 
There will be very few EPICs sold if all they get is higher FPS. I am sure there will be other distinctions, but I can't think of any deal-breakers for the vaaaast majority of users. Everybody and their mother would buy a Scarlet and rent an EPIC when needed.

by as much as a year.

Did I miss something said by Red on Recon?
 
I would hope they would release the original scarlet as planned (or on the same schedule), even if they made the scarletx line (or just the 2/3" or just the 35) I think they would get enough sales of both to cover the costs.
 
Joseph I'm surprised you're choosing to delay the Scarlet by as much as a year.

This is citing facts not in evidence.

I'm up waaaaay past my bedtime, so don't take this as a flame, because it wasn't intended to be.

Funny how many West coasters are still online tonight!
 
I'd say yes because it will make it even more future proof...

If i spend like 15000$ for a scarlet S35 indie production package like many others will do, i need that HDR maybe more than Epic users who will mainly work on big sets with light equipments and everything they need to make the picture perfect. I know i will use my scarlet in difficult lighting conditions, no space for re-lighting. So yes...


Jim, could you update us about Red finding another manufacturer for Scarlet ? I guess this is one of the critical point to solve to get a better idea on when this camera will hit the market... Any plan of schedule updates for epics and scarlets ?
 
Please stop the FUD

Please stop the FUD

Feedback yes please, unfounded speculations no thanks.
 
Agreed.



I worked all weekend, tomorrow just happens to be my self appointed one-day break. :)

Well, I'm supposed to be up and writing by 9:00 AM. Let's see how that works out.

I'm feeling a little lame as I haven't been up past 4 for social reasons in a long time, but I guess I can tell my buddies I went to a rockin HDR party and leave them wondering what they missed.

Ok - Back on topic -

Good night all. Dream (or daydream) about the first Scarlet with HDR, the fixed 2/3. Or as I prefer to call it, S8X.
It's kinda like the White Sox logo.
 
I think that the Epic lineup has been in terrible need of a few decent high end features to really separate it from the Scarlet. High fps is one and I believe HDRx and one or two others could be the defining separators. I'm not convinced that lower compression cut's it as an added feature given how good Redcode has been.

If you can shoot 99% of something using the Scarlet S35 and get the same results as shooting with an Epic I just don't see the point of owning the Epic over the Scarlet. I and I'm sure many others would end up owning and using a Scarlet and simply rent an Epic for when I need to shoot slow motion. I'd like to think that a camera that's worth four times as much can do more than just one thing better.

That being said, if Red put such features into the Scarlet I'll simply sell the Epic and buy a Scarlet instead and have more money in my pocket. I doubt many people would buy an Epic brand new once the Scarlet is available.

Paul
 
Not for the lowest cost 2/3 Scarlets.

Although this would be a great module.

I am fine buying a (relatively) inexpensive scarlet (fixed) and renting an epic when I need HDR or high FPS or greater than 5K res, and thats the way it should be imo. If you add every great feature to scarlet and bump up the price tag accordingly there is no point in having epic and scarlet.
 
I think that the Epic lineup has been in terrible need of a few decent high end features to really separate it from the Scarlet. High fps is one and I believe HDRx™ and one or two others could be the defining separators. I'm not convinced that lower compression cut's it as an added feature given how good Redcode has been.

If you can shoot 99% of something using the Scarlet S35 and get the same results as shooting with an Epic I just don't see the point of owning the Epic over the Scarlet. I and I'm sure many others would end up owning and using a Scarlet and simply rent an Epic for when I need to shoot slow motion. I'd like to think that a camera that's worth four times as much can do more than just one thing better.

That being said, if Red put such features into the Scarlet I'll simply sell the Epic and buy a Scarlet instead and have more money in my pocket. I doubt many people would buy an Epic brand new once the Scarlet is available.

Paul

Paul makes a very good point. If there is not enough of a real-world difference between Scarlet and Epic, then many of those who placed a deposit will simply ask for a refund and move over to Scarlet and save the green. And, if Scarlet keeps inching up and up in cost, then there will be droves who abandon it for a less expensive solution, even if it isn't as good of a solution.
 
Not if it will cost in time and redevelopment. The money isn't the issue for me here. The issue is getting the product to market. I think Scarlet base DR alone will blow the doors off every other camera in it's price range.
 
Voted no.

I have no requirements for HDR for a Scarlet 2/3 or S35. It's Epic's land not Scarlet's.

I need an affordable S35 starter kit (including a lense) asap: my deadline is on spring 2011 and I'm on a budget.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top