Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

evf flip on dsmc2

Mike Simpson

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NYC/LA
Website
www.mike-simpson.com
Is there still no way flip the image on the dsmc2 evf without it mirroring as well? Id love to even set one of the keys on the evf as flip so I can quickly toggle.

Also is there still no way to flip the image for low mode steadicam on hdsdi? All I can find is the UI flip.
 
Any solution to this?
For gimbal work with the arri UWZ (which produces an inverted image) an invert option on hdsdi output would be really useful.
(To be clear, the camera setting overlay needs to remain uninverted)



Mike Brennan
 
is there any way to do this yet? The design of the dsmc2 evf is still driving me insane. I cannot use most traditional evf mounts because of the cable placement. If I could use the evf upside down that would be no problem but mounting the evf does not work with most evf brackets. for reference I am trying ot use the Arri one. http://bps-tv.co.uk/shop/arri-evf-bracket-set-red-dsmc2-evf-kk-0012694/
 
If you're working with the camera upsidedown you want to flip the sensor readout, not the display. Go to sensor settings.

this is not what he asking for.He s using camera on shoulder and evf cable placement is very awkward.If you mount evf cable facing outside its little bit better than original design however you get upside down picture.enabling global sensor flip is useless in this scenario.

Mike have you tried magic arm? we got new evf recently and its unusable by its design.I forgot the ordering mounting hole and did custom one.Still cant use this evf because of no flip option lol :)
btw standart mounting point and its place must be the most stupid design ever.
zEtt8XM.jpg


who uses evf like this?
Im not complaining about evf's image quality it is the best one i have ever seen, only problem is how to properly mount on camera.
 

Attachments

  • WhatsApp Image 2017-05-15 at 23.12.04.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-05-15 at 23.12.04.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2017-05-15 at 23.12.02.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2017-05-15 at 23.12.02.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes the cable out the right hand side is painful. I use the WC EVF system and I can make it work but its a compromise. If somebody made a low profile Lemo 90 degree plug it would make mounting easier.
 
hey everyone,

Quick update:
just wanted to throw out that arri has a pretty good solution to the stupid evf design. There is a small offset where the evf hinges so that the lemo cable can plug in where it needs to.It alsobalances the evf pretty well. Beyond that, it has a traditional evf mount with good placement when on the shoulder and is very easy to adjust all of the points. Its basically exactly how the alexa evf works, and feels great. Overall I am super pleased with it.

You can also see my elegant solution to keeping a shammy attached to the dumb red evf eye cup.
 

Attachments

  • vf1.jpg
    vf1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vf2.jpg
    vf2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
I purchased directly though arri but you can also get it here : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...Zz0Fxmcj0qqiCzyxoCX3vw_wcB&is=REG&sku=1288721

I would suggest reaching out to arri. Their customer service was a bit of a nightmare to navigate but all of their dsmc2 stuff is really great. I am using the top plate, lcd mount, handle, and picked up both the broadcast plates and the cineplates. It feels like a real camera !
 
It works with the LCD Monitor so i think i'll also work with the EVF

In the lastest (non beta) firmware version there's an option over:

Settings -> Look -> Video -> Look Config

Now there's a checkbox (i don't remember what it says exactly) that'll flip/flop the image.
 
Back
Top