Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic-W Purple Fringe

Steve DiMaggio

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2016
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
0
Points
36
I have seen the purple fringe issue before, I was just going through some pro res renders (I think dragon 2 gamma 4) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their W's. I know all bets are off until the new color science comes out but was looking for direction to reduce this until helium color science hits. Mostly shooting leica r and milvus lens.

I am going to go back into the r3d files later tonight and see if I can reduce it using dragon 1 and exporting as red log film.

It should be noted not all blown out areas have this, seems to only happen with certain temperature of lights. Here is a really low res screen shot

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR I AM NOT COMPLAINING, lets try to keep it on topic please

Steve

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%2010.24.37%20PM_zpsxtsfwehc.png
 
Yeah, it looks like CA from a wide open lens shooting an over exposed highlight next to a dark black. But also try shifting your white balance and tint in RCXP. I have seen this effect when the WB is opposite the color of the lights.
 
weird, I have shot close to 30 weddings this year with these lenses and have not seen this ever before, i have also shot on a red epic m without seeing this. seems a bit exaggerated.

Steve
 
I would guess it's the purple fringe issue exassorbating the CA from the lenses. Have you tried looking at the RedWideGamut and Log3G10 combo to see if the issue persists. This should eliminate the channel clipping to at least give you a point to further asess the problem.
 
I havent tried anything yet, I was just reviewing transcoded pro res files. These are exactly the answers I was looking for, thanks guys! I am thinking this was shot with one of my older leica r lenses wide open, it has very little coating left on the lens

Steve
 
yeah first thing I am going to try is dragon 1, thanks!
 
huh, dragon one is not available as an option in my RCXP, weird, but the "film" preset did seem to help

steve
 
Phil said with helium it shows all your lenses flaws better
 
I haven't gotten my Epic-W up and running yet, but I did play with quite a few sample files and it definitely appears that the camera is more sensitive to color casts and lens flaws. I even noticed color casts in the R3D samples on the RED website with the blonde woman's hair. I think that's why the flag looks purple in this shot. I'm sure color science will help.
 
I have seen the purple fringe issue before, I was just going through some pro res renders (I think dragon 2 gamma 4) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their W's. I know all bets are off until the new color science comes out but was looking for direction to reduce this until helium color science hits. Mostly shooting leica r and milvus lens.

I am going to go back into the r3d files later tonight and see if I can reduce it using dragon 1 and exporting as red log film.

It should be noted not all blown out areas have this, seems to only happen with certain temperature of lights. Here is a really low res screen shot

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR I AM NOT COMPLAINING, lets try to keep it on topic please

Steve

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%2010.24.37%20PM_zpsxtsfwehc.png

Send me the R3D (just a single frame will do) and I'll take a look for you. It looks like CA from the lens. If the lens was wide open, then that's exactly what it is. Developing as DC1 will certainly help.

Graeme
 
Send me the R3D (just a single frame will do) and I'll take a look for you. It looks like CA from the lens. If the lens was wide open, then that's exactly what it is. Developing as DC1 will certainly help.

Graeme
it was wide open, I am pretty sure of that, for some reason DC1 is not available in RCPX for me? How do I export just a single frame, would be happy to

Steve
 
weird, I have shot close to 30 weddings this year with these lenses and have not seen this ever before, i have also shot on a red epic m without seeing this. seems a bit exaggerated.

Steve

Its called chromatic aboration and something you'd pretty much never see using an okay lens on a gh4. What lens are you using?
 
pretty sure this was a milvus lens, I am going to open it up and check it out in a minute
 
Back
Top