Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic-W not booting up - Urgent

Jeff Barry

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've got a shoot in the morning and I was going through all the gear to check it and when I turned on my Epic-W it would not boot up. It was fine 2 days ago and has been sitting in it's case since.

When I turn it on the fans will kick in, the power light goes green, it will recognize an SSD by the light, but I get no image on the monitor. Nor any image out of SDI or HDMI. It will not record either. I updated the firmware but that did not solve the problem.

There's maybe 20 hours on this camera, it's been on 2 single day shoots so far.

Any help would be appreciated. I have put a ticket in to RED.

Thank you!
 
Try pressing and holding the power button for a hard reset. Hold it in for about 30 seconds.
If it's still not working, release all possible modules and try again.
 
It was a known bug that the camera wouldn't boot with a mini-mag in it. I'm not sure if they've eliminated it yet.
 
It was a known bug that the camera wouldn't boot with a mini-mag in it. I'm not sure if they've eliminated it yet.

Huh. I hadn't heard that. There was no mini mag in it at start up and I haven't experienced that before.
 
Try pressing and holding the power button for a hard reset. Hold it in for about 30 seconds.
If it's still not working, release all possible modules and try again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't know you could do that. However it did not fix it.
 
I have not tried that yet. I'm out of town on this job and I didn't bring the AC chords. The job is on a golf course so we are working from battery only. But RED suggested I try that too. I will when I get back to NY tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestion!
 
Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago at an event. I connected the monitor to the side Pogo when doing some tests at home, but when I got to the venue, I put it back on the top Pogo. Nothing on the screen when I booted it up. I admit I was panicking a little bit (stupid me, always test in the intended configuration before going out on a job). I ended up disconnecting the monitor, starting it up without the monitor, and then re-attaching it. I forgot if I re-attached it while the brain was on, or whether I turned it off. Thankfully it came back on. I think it had something to do with the brain unable to detect the monitor. Has been fine ever since.
 
When things like this happen start disconnecting and reconnecting all the modules. Sometimes a module still won't work after reconnecting... say a lens mount won't register aperture, or the redvolt xl module wont pass power though. Clean the connection with a slightly damp rag usually get them to connect.

Each red camera is it's own slightly finicky beast, because of this I have learned to always bring 2-3 different ways to power the camera as well as a backup monitor cord and connector.
 
Just an update on this, we've exhausted all possibilities over the phone and I'll have to send the camera in. I will update when I get a prognosis in case others encounter this.
 
following..
 
OK, so I got my Epic W back. Got it back last week. Apparently one of the boards in the camera went down. A little disconcerting as the camera did not have very many hours on it, under 20 at that point. The work took 7 business days in California. But the camera is back and working like new. All in all i didn't have the camera for about 12 days. RED NY was very helpful and they gave me a loaner for the couple days of work I had during that time.

Also to note, from what the guys at RED have said, they have not seen this issue in with any regularity, so it is not similar to the issue that was happening with Epics a few years back. Same symptoms, different issue and not nearly as wide spread. Just as an FYI for anyone looking on the forum with similar symptoms....
 
Thank you for following up on this and letting all of us know.
 
A board "going down" is a thin explaination.
Why did it go down?
Mechanical issue ie breakage ribbon connector or solder issue?
Manufacturing issue of a particular component?
Failure due to a power spike?

Understanding if it is Component, Assembly or design can help troubleshoot any future issues.


Mike Brennan
 
Back
Top