Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC W AND FINAL CUT

Yes! It looks great! Wide gamut looks cool, I can't see in red cine, but only in the panel in final cut pro...strange! OK I'll wait let me know thanks!
 
just uploaded some 6K shot in the front yard, left is widegamut, right is dragon 2, you can see the rest of the settings, this is a screen shot using the mac screen shot utility. 6K 24fps, 3:1

just fun to share, 19mm v1 leica r

gamut_zpsqewzlhna.jpg
 
Tanks Steve! So the 6K from Epic W work in fcpx! Good to hear! What you think about the new color?
 
I like the widegamut, I am going to be doing some more work in it this weekend, will post screen shots, most likely 50mm leica r

yep 6K worked fine once I updated
 
If I'm not mistaken, up to 6K is supported in FCPX in R3D. Could be wrong though.
Learn about the workflow though, it's best if you first make .rmd files in RedCine before you bring the footage into FCPX, so you can change the RAW Parameters in REDCINE and it will ripple trough to FCPX. (Sam Mestman from We Make Movies has a couple of very old, but still very good and relevant tutorials about it)

This is the workflow i've been using both on the short film i just shot and on
the documentary i'm working on. saw those tutorials and tried it and it's easy as pie.
Only catch is for now can only shoot 6k on my Epic-W but honestly it's just fine for most stuff.

Mac Pro "trashcan" 2xD700 gpu.

Ive been using using red dragon color and redgama2 with nice results.
however, i'm one of those people who like to crush the blacks and like contrasty images.:-)
Ive been using redgama4 with my Scarlet-x and liked it. I like redgama2 with helium better
because i seem to have more adjustment room and not worried about shadow noise as much.
 
Last edited:
must be the "Hello Again" Mac event in 5 days, but have not heard anything about FCP -- maybe he is a beta tester? Very good news if true!
 
If I'm not mistaken, up to 6K is supported in FCPX in R3D. Could be wrong though.
Learn about the workflow though, it's best if you first make .rmd files in RedCine before you bring the footage into FCPX, so you can change the RAW Parameters in REDCINE and it will ripple trough to FCPX. (Sam Mestman from We Make Movies has a couple of very old, but still very good and relevant tutorials about it)

Circling back - historically, you did have to save an RMD in REDcine-X prior to ingestion in FCPX but only if you wanted to be able to go back to REDcine-X after you started working in FCPX. In other words, if you were to stay in FCPX after ingestion, then FCPX created the RMD and all worked just fine.

My question is whether this is still the case. Are RMDs created in FCPX still not picked up by REDcine-X? I haven't check lately (I almost never go back to REDcine-X).
 
Well, I don't know if that's still the case. I still do it out of habbit.

Next week, the 27th, the new FCPX will drop and the rumors say it is a pretty big update. So let's see, maybe it holds some different workflows for RED users too! (I think the current workflow is pretty good though - although some stuff can always be better)
(The trial installer on the home-page of FCPX for a few hours defaulted to a broken 10.3 new version according to a user who reported to 9to5 mac, and Apple has a Creative Summit presentation about FCPX the same day as the Mac announcement, so we can be pretty sure the new version will drop the same day or close-by)
 
Well, I don't know if that's still the case. I still do it out of habbit.

Next week, the 27th, the new FCPX will drop and the rumors say it is a pretty big update. So let's see, maybe it holds some different workflows for RED users too! (I think the current workflow is pretty good though - although some stuff can always be better)
(The trial installer on the home-page of FCPX for a few hours defaulted to a broken 10.3 new version according to a user who reported to 9to5 mac, and Apple has a Creative Summit presentation about FCPX the same day as the Mac announcement, so we can be pretty sure the new version will drop the same day or close-by)

I will be at that Creative Summit and am very excited to go to the special Apple presentation on Friday. The big Apple event for the press is on the 27th, the day before the Creative Summit begins in earnest. So, the FCPX announcement will likely come just before the Summit.

Still curious if anyone can confirm the issue of RMDs. I might have to find some time to look into it.
 
Back
Top