Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC STAGE Clarification and update

Magnus, buying a new Red One today, you will be able to get the MX sensor upgrade, when your turn comes, after every camera purchased before yours gets a chance to also upgrade to the new MX sensor, as well as any future upgrades that Red might bring for the Red ONe body it self, but there will be no other deals other then that, no new body can be upgraded for any Epic.
 
What do you mean by full system? There will be several Scarlet options, fixed, interchangeable, and perhaps down the line S35 & FF.

I doubt anyone can give you anything but a ball park figure at this point. Scarlet isn't for sale yet.

The Scarlet "fixed" zoom was projected to be around 6K operational. But of course you can always add stuff.

Stay tuned.
 
What they mean by full system is if you choose to execute your RED One by way of a discount on Scarlet, you get the discount for the scarlet brain and all the other accessory gear you buy as a full system with that purchase. One time, one purchase only. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
 
Do Stage 3 customers have to pay for their Epic as soon as it's ready?

Do Stage 3 customers have to pay for their Epic as soon as it's ready?

Here's a question that I've not seen discussed (or possibly I've missed it).

Let's say I enroll in Stage 3 and eventually Red notifies me that it's my turn to trade in my R1 for the Epic. Do I have to pay for the Epic and take delivery within 30 days of the notification (or a similar window)? Or, can I postpone delivery for a month or a few if I wish to, as was the case with the R1?

My question is prompted largely due to Red's statement that, "You must take delivery within 30 days from notification that your order is ready for delivery. Notification order based on R1 Delivery date." I'm trying to understand EXACTLY what that statement means.

I hope you can see why my question is crucial. If Red notifies me that they have an Epic ready for me, and my R1 is out on a two-month job, or if I'm short on cash that month, I might not be able to perform the payment and trade-in within a 30-day window.

Or perhaps it would be a bad decision to trade-in for Epic at that moment because of lack of accessories or lack of other support gear/tools/software. It would be a disaster to trade-in for Epic only to end up with a non-rentable camera package because there is no aftermarket X to make my Y fit with the Epic's Z.

My question also has bearing on all the Stage 3 customers who aren't sure whether to upgrade to the MX sensor or not. It would be a bummer to upgrade to MX and then a couple months later be FORCED to trade-in for Epic. I would hope the customer has the OPTION to delay their trade-in for a while, so as to get a little more mileage from their R1 MX (or should I say, return on investment).

If anyone could shed any insights on this topic, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Dave
 
David, I'm not sure, but I would prepare as best I could to be ready. I'd start working on getting the finances together now even though its probably a good six months (my guess, of course) down the road before Stage 3 begins. I think things can get chaotic for them if they don't set down firmly delineated guidelines. Once exceptions enter, a lot of people have them.

We already have an advance warning that these are the rules of the game. There is an element of chance re the MX upgrade, but only the individual can make that call. Maybe Red will give some wiggle room down the line, but I know I'm playing it as if I'll only have 30 days. And I doubt they'll be opening things up in advance.

It is a hard call. But then I don't know of any other camera company that will give you any kind of trade-in, never mind one so generous.

Hopefully they'll get over the bug & manufacturing hurdles soon, and we'll have a bit better idea on time-frame.
 
I foresee many used R1's hitting the market for those needing to scrape last minute funds together.

Best time to buy a used RED is the month/s surrounding Epic shipping.
 
I foresee many used R1's hitting the market for those needing to scrape last minute funds together.

Best time to buy a used RED is the month/s surrounding Epic shipping.

Don't you have to send the R1 back though (for stage 3).

The best time to buy was near the stage 2 deadline... some pretty crazy deals were flying around. I held out in hope of the mid may Scarlet news, bad move!
 
Last edited:
I foresee many used R1's hitting the market for those needing to scrape last minute funds together.

Best time to buy a used RED is the month/s surrounding Epic shipping.

You must mean for when the Stage 2 cameras start shipping?
 
oct30.jpg


Who's up for another October announcement?
 
I hope for Stage 2 beginning end of August, or not till February! Getting rental and work in October through January is much, much harder
 
The release date doesn't scare me, if it's october, then it's october.

It's the availability of the accessories that remains the question to me.

Antoine
 
Jeff needs Epic-X now.

...Unable to derive meaning from Jarred's laughter.
 
Back
Top