Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC News...

"Postage stamp" is a relative term. 5K 24fps is to CF card. 5K 100fps is to SSD. Both are "postage stamps" compared to refrigerator drives...

Jim
 
Will we get 25/30fps to CF cards at 5K?

And will a CF card be able to handle higher framerates at a "burstmode"?
 
Will we get 25/30fps to CF cards at 5K?

And will a CF card be able to handle higher framerates at a "burstmode"?

Yes, sort of and no... :-)

Burst mode doesn't help... data rate is data rate. You can shoot a higher frame rate to CF card if REDCODE is adjusted. Full specs in the near future.

Jim
 
Seems to me like SSD is the way of the future...
 
Seems to me like SSD is the way of the future...

Yeah I'd rather be shooting on a drive I can drop kick and still be able to pull the footage off of and use again.
 
On recording mediums, because I shoot a lot of high frame rate footage, I'll mostly use SSD. But I'll also have some 64GB CF cards on hand to keep my setups even a bit lighter when I shoot normal frame rates. I really like having both the SSD and CF options! Way cool...
 
i didn't think there was an R1 upgrade path to anything beyond epicx.

You're plain wrong, there was an M-X AND Monstro upgrade path for the R1 promised, subject to change etc

If that has changed, I would be nice to be informed.
 
You're plain wrong, there was an M-X AND Monstro upgrade path for the R1 promised, subject to change etc

If that has changed, I would be nice to be informed.

So if a Monstro upgrade for the R1 was made available, choosing Stage 2 would disqualify your R1 from that upgrade, since it's now marked as executed?
 
I agree, but as you point out it does sound like it would complicate things. RED seems to be all about a complex system of products, but you can't blame them for making some decisions based on what's best for their business. It might not even be a decision to make, it might be the only way they don't lose money for all we know. Already you get to save on your power, audio, and media modules for example. Making you save on the "engine" would be a great offering, but what are you gonna do... I am with you, and also in considering this whole situation a major positive within the context this camera is being released.

I agree


Really? I think the opposite. They wouldn't have released M-X if they already had better tech, though photosite size was already announced. However Jim said many times, if I remember correctly, that the technology going into the larger Mostro photosites will be different. It isn't just about size, but better technology from M > M-X > Mostro.

Yes really, based on what we were told. The Epic-X spec originally said it was a 12bit sensor, now were told its a fifteen bit one. Obviously, that sounds better. Monstro was originally slated as a 16bit sensor, with larger photosites (subject to change etc). I just like to have all the facts when making important decisions


I hope you get your answer. I am amazed people are still holding out for Mostro though. I assummed everyone and their mother would upgrade, even if not renting the camera, I didn't think anyone would have the self control to wait.

I have a little
 
So if a Monstro upgrade for the R1 was made available, choosing Stage 2 would disqualify your R1 from that upgrade, since it's now marked as executed?

A Monstro upgrade will be available for the RED ONE (future)... and yes, if you do Stage 2, you have used your one time trade-in opportunity.

Jim
 
Back
Top