Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Epic Mysterium-X vs Epic-W, what to do?

Rodrigo Violante

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2016
Messages
338
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Miami
The reason I'm considering doing the upgrade are this ones:

- Better low light capture (I usually shoot video at really low light conditions, underwater, nightclubs, city) so I will like to know how good is the low light vs previous models.
- 8k I feel I can take out stills as good as my DSLR, but Im wondering if this is actually true since with the Mysterium they never came out as good.

My biggest concern is that I do slow motion a lot and the MX did 120 FPS at Full frame.

I can't upgrade to the Weapon since I'm not candidate to upgrade for that.

Any recommendations?

Best

Rodrigo
 
Its a tough choice. No easy answer here.

For the $19K upgrade price, you could also KEEP your Epic MX and ALSO get a Scarlet-W (which has much better lowlight than your Epic MX).

Something to keep in mind.
 
That is exactly what I am missing with the Epic-W. The trade off is that it still looks so damn good at 6k. I had a upgrade path via of a Scarlet-W deposit so I still have my Epic Dragon. With prices being so low for resale I am having a hard time letting my Dragon go. The low light difference is pretty dramatic.
 
Tough call. I think the Helium sensor looks drastically better at 8k vs 6k. But the Helium sensor at 6k looks way better than MX. But if you need 120 FPS without crop I would keep the MX for those purposes and get something else for the rest of your work. If you need better low light performance and you need 120+ FPS without crop I would get the FS7 or Amira.
 
Two really good things coming your way.
1: the wait is not eternal it goes pretty damn quick.
2: I also did the upgrade from MX and man oh man. I didn't regret it a second when I turned the Epic-W on. It's amazing and worth every penny. Especially low light, it will make you happy.
 
Honestly, I thing the Epic Dragon sounds like the camera for you.
Higher resolution than the MX
Huge leap in image and color quality
Still keep the 120FPS at 5K
Honestly, the Epic Dragon still has a ways to go. The Dragon sensor had a bigger leap over the MX sensor than the Helium does over the Dragon. Plus you can find a used Dragon for a pretty descent price these days.
 
Two really good things coming your way.
1: the wait is not eternal it goes pretty damn quick.
2: I also did the upgrade from MX and man oh man. I didn't regret it a second when I turned the Epic-W on. It's amazing and worth every penny. Especially low light, it will make you happy.

Wow I'm so pumped now to get it!!!!!!! Now I need an underwater housing!
 
Back
Top