Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC-M , DISNEYWORLD & FAMILY MOVIES

Interesting idea to put the H4N on the bottom... But how likely are you to brush or bump it there while recording? Seems like the 17-50 would be the best go-to lens here. The Duclos 11-16 resides on my EPIC a lot. I like shooting wide angle lenses to begin with and it's a really nice size.

The Disney parks are a lot more serious about checking bags and people. It's a bit ridiculous, IMO. Or at least it was last time I was there.

You're right Jeff, the images from the 17-50 are the hit. Glad I brought it and shot with it. A few attached.

-michael zaletel
 

Attachments

  • close-17-50.jpg
    close-17-50.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • close-17-50-2.jpg
    close-17-50-2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
  • far-17-50.jpg
    far-17-50.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
Shamu Jump at 300fps 2K

Shamu Jump at 300fps 2K

After watching the Shamu Show at SeaWorld Orlando from the first row with my kids, I was able to get away for a second show with my EPIC-M from a safer vantage point (water-wise). One of the shows cameramen came up to me afterwards and said "they don't often get that caliber of camera at their venue."

When I get back from vacation, I'll post some 300 fps R3Ds if anyone would like to see them.

Attached is a 1/2 res screen grab of the initial Shamu jump and a close up of the famous whale splash in 300fps 2K shot on EPIC-M with RED 17-50.

-michael zaletel

P.S. 4 fully charged REDVOLT batteries are not enough for a day at a theme park with the family. I can tell you that for sure. Can't wait to be able to order more of those sweet little miracles of technology!
 

Attachments

  • Shamu-300fps-2.jpg
    Shamu-300fps-2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Whale-Splash-300.jpg
    Whale-Splash-300.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FountainsWhales-300.jpg
    FountainsWhales-300.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
Wow.

You could sell all that stuff as stock footage.

5K family vacation! Nuts.
You'll have to cut it all in FCP X so that people can tell you you aren't a pro... :)



David
 
This is silly,
Somehow I don't think that this was the intended use for Epic.
Look -a fly on the wall- let me get my shotgun....

Maybe not for you, but who are you to say how and where Epic can be used? I was just at Disneyland too, and out on a Disney cruise. I would have LOVED to have had an Epic with me.

What people do with their Epic is up to them. Sorry, but it's none of your damn business. What a thoughtless comment.
 
Nice shots from SeaWorld! ...Just think what you can pull off with an EPIC if you have a proper support and lens and camera location and... :) Still, for vacation shots, those rock!
 
Nice shots from SeaWorld! ...Just think what you can pull off with an EPIC if you have a proper support and lens and camera location and... :) Still, for vacation shots, those rock!

Thanks Jeff... I think. :)

Yeah, I was really wishing for a 1st AC today trying to pull focus on the RPZ 17-50 handheld while following my small children at Disneyworld Magic Kingdom. Yes, I did make it into Disneyworld M.K. with the EPIC-M after all. PIC of the magic bag and purposeful packing attached.

New post with link to some of the R3D's to come...

Packing List:

1. EPIC-M
2. Fruit Loops
3. RED EVF
4. Apples & Plums
5. Rain Poncho
6. H4N

-michael zaletel
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5938.jpg
    IMG_5938.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fireworks.jpg
    fireworks.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • pirates.jpg
    pirates.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • family-donald.jpg
    family-donald.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
That is stealth Michael. It really shows off the form factor.
Looks like that setup is perfect for doc work.
5K doc work.

David
 
Hehe... With it tucked into the bag like that, it looks just like a DSLR. I doubt anyone would take a second glance at it, especially with you dragging along the family. Your fireworks shot and the one from Pirates of the Caribbean definitely show what the EPIC can do vs. the lowly 7D I brought. Of course, the semi-crap F3.5 15-85 zoom didn't help much. It was convenient, but even perfectly focused, images are still a bit soft and being an F5.6 at the long end was very frustrating. When I go back, I'll bring an EPIC... Actually, it will probably be Scarlet... Then again, EPIC with Nikon or Canon glass and AF could really sing... :)
 
Hehe... With it tucked into the bag like that, it looks just like a DSLR. I doubt anyone would take a second glance at it, especially with you dragging along the family. Your fireworks shot and the one from Pirates of the Caribbean definitely show what the EPIC can do vs. the lowly 7D I brought. Of course, the semi-crap F3.5 15-85 zoom didn't help much. It was convenient, but even perfectly focused, images are still a bit soft and being an F5.6 at the long end was very frustrating. When I go back, I'll bring an EPIC... Actually, it will probably be Scarlet... Then again, EPIC with Nikon or Canon glass and AF could really sing... :)

How about a set of REDPRO "COMPACT" primes. ... :)

I wish someone would make a set of compact PL Primes with DATA link, etc. Everything we like from stills glass and PL glass combined. That feels like it is missing. Like something between those RED mini Primes and the RPP's.



David
 
Hehe... With it tucked into the bag like that, it looks just like a DSLR. I doubt anyone would take a second glance at it, especially with you dragging along the family. Your fireworks shot and the one from Pirates of the Caribbean definitely show what the EPIC can do vs. the lowly 7D I brought. Of course, the semi-crap F3.5 15-85 zoom didn't help much. It was convenient, but even perfectly focused, images are still a bit soft and being an F5.6 at the long end was very frustrating. When I go back, I'll bring an EPIC... Actually, it will probably be Scarlet... Then again, EPIC with Nikon or Canon glass and AF could really sing... :)

I thought a lot about Nikon/Canon glass and AF this past week. I'm still not sure how it would work in practice in a situation like this where you are handheld. In bright daylight, the EVF is in my opinion more convenient and ergonomic when shooting handheld with one hand on DSMC side handle and one hand on custom left handle. But more importantly, I was thinking how would I tap the LCD screen to touch-focus when handheld without taking one hand off one of the handles. I was able to use my index finger to turn the focus ring on the RPZ 17-50 while keeping the camera steady with both hands on the handles and most settings can be set from the DSMC side handle with thumb. If I had to take one hand off to tap a touchscreen, not only would I lose balance of the camera but I would likely jar any shot in progress. Perhaps I am just not thinking through how the AF and touchscreen combo will work in a run and gun handheld situation?

Also, interestingly, I found that the best way to focus in these situations was to look at the focus marks on the RPZ 17-50 and guess at the distance as my kids moved around, came toward me, etc. I actually got pretty good at that in a short time and could tell they were 2 feet away from lens, 3 feet away, 10 feet away more quickly and dial the lens appropriately than I could zoom 1:1 and adjust. I wasn't wide open so that made it easier of course. I would guess there are 1st AC's out there that could gauge the distance even wide open and adjust real time just by the focus marks without even looking at a monitor? I even started to get a feel for where the focus ring was and could adjust without even looking at least between say 2 feet, 3 feet, 5 feet, 10 feet, 50 feet, 100 feet, infinity.

I also want to mention the rocker menu on the DSMC side handle rocks. I was able to fly through settings changes in critical situations. I even switched between 2K 300fps and 5k 24fps along with ISO changes in seconds during the fireworks show. I was wide open on the RPZ 17-50 on Pirates of the Caribbean using 6400 ISO so I could see what I was shooting and could focus. I was extremely surprised how much I could see and the final footage is grainy but definitely usable.


-michael zaletel
 
Hey Michael, would love to see your pirates footage. I have made many attempts to photograph and film the classic ride with varying levels of success!
 
Hey Michael, would love to see your pirates footage. I have made many attempts to photograph and film the classic ride with varying levels of success!

Ok Jim. I will plan on posting a few R3Ds from Pirates Ride.

-michael Zaletel
 
I would guess there are 1st AC's out there that could gauge the distance even wide open and adjust real time just by the focus marks without even looking at a monitor? I even started to get a feel for where the focus ring was and could adjust without even looking at least between say 2 feet, 3 feet, 5 feet, 10 feet, 50 feet, 100 feet, infinity.


-michael zaletel
That's about the only way focus pullers have worked traditionally. and the marks for the talent on the floor. Focusing off monitor is new and scarce.
 
Hey Michael, would love to see your pirates footage. I have made many attempts to photograph and film the classic ride with varying levels of success!

jim, you know that they have "upgraded" the ride from its classic version...
 
This is the stealth setup I used at Disneyworld, Seaworld and Universal Studios Orlando last week. These items have not yet been released but I talked the company into letting me post a pic here. Normally there would be a shotgun mic inside the handle with their shock mount but I wanted to run an audio backup to SD with the H4N. My favorite part about this setup is their target price tag under $750 with the top handle, riser, rotating accessory mount, side handle, original EVF mount and mic shock mount (not shown).

web.jpg


-michael zaletel
 
jim, you know that they have "upgraded" the ride from its classic version...

Yeah, totally F'd it up. I miss the talking skull at the beginning...

Interesting Accessories, Michael. That EVF mount is kinda trippy.
 
Back
Top