Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Editing Setup for my Epic-W

Carlos de Varona

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So, a cool announcement will come the 11th and im just here prepping my mind and my wallet.

This is a question for those of you who have worked with the 8k heliums etc.

What would a setup need to be like to be able to handle an 8k workflow? Most of my clients wont need the 8k but I know it could really help me in post for certain shots, situations and projects. Also.. That sensor....... :)

Would love to know what those of you planning on going Epic-W are thinking of in terms of editing upgrades.


let me know!!
 
I have a Mac pro 3.5GHz 6-core
16GB ram, 2x AMD D700 graphics cards, and a Thunderbay raid

seems to do fine
 
I have a Mac pro 3.5GHz 6-core
16GB ram, 2x AMD D700 graphics cards, and a Thunderbay raid

seems to do fine

What type of footage are you working with, what NLE, and any other info you can provide that has it working smoothly for you? Curious myself.
 
What type of footage are you working with, what NLE, and any other info you can provide that has it working smoothly for you? Curious myself.

Well first, .. I'm fairly new to Red and the workflow.

I'm using a Scarlet X 4k 5:1 or 8:1.
Redcine-x and will typically view at 1/2 unless Im grading critical and then will do limited playback at full res.
I'm editing in Final Cut Pro-x and not using proxies but going directly to the Red R3d files. Again these are only 4k from my Scarlet.
I also use the Red FCPx plugin to quickly access footage from the FCPx timeline when I need to make adjustments
to match scenes. I'm editing a short film I just shot this way, and unless I'm missing something, ..
this seems very simple and easy for a workflow.

As a test I downloaded the 8k Helium boxer footage ( wish there was more ) and ran it through my same workflow
to see what would happen. And it's just slightly slower to process in RedCine-X but it's not hateful slow. About 1/2 speed of the 4k.

I have NOT processed a 8k file edit out of FCPx to see how much longer that would take.

Curtis
 
Well first, .. I'm fairly new to Red and the workflow.

I'm using a Scarlet X 4k 5:1 or 8:1.
Redcine-x and will typically view at 1/2 unless Im grading critical and then will do limited playback at full res.
I'm editing in Final Cut Pro-x and not using proxies but going directly to the Red R3d files. Again these are only 4k from my Scarlet.
I also use the Red FCPx plugin to quickly access footage from the FCPx timeline when I need to make adjustments
to match scenes. I'm editing a short film I just shot this way, and unless I'm missing something, ..
this seems very simple and easy for a workflow.

As a test I downloaded the 8k Helium boxer footage ( wish there was more ) and ran it through my same workflow
to see what would happen. And it's just slightly slower to process in RedCine-X but it's not hateful slow. About 1/2 speed of the 4k.

I have NOT processed a 8k file edit out of FCPx to see how much longer that would take.

Curtis

Where is the link to the boxer helium r3d's?
 
Keep us in the loop brody, thanks!

Sure thing, here's the scoop.


My specs:

Late 2015 iMac 27" 5k
i7 4GHZ
64 GB Ram
AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB
W/Rocket-X by way of Sonnet Echo TB Enclosure

I duplicated the 4 second Helium 8K @ 4:1 R3D clip about 6 times to give me about 20 seconds of roll.


1/2 Res - Doesn't even have to buffer. Absolutely no dropped frames and not even a second of waiting here. i could work in this all day long. (most probably already could have guessed this)

Full Res - Short buffer time, like 10 seconds for a 20 sec clip playback. Play head will catch up with buffer depending on how long playback time is. But, absolutely no dropped frames.


1/2 Res w/ HP sharpen, Unsharp Mask, and 3d LUT - Very slight buffer time, less wait than 8K at Full. Absolutely no frames dropped. Cou work in this comfortably.

Full Res w/ HP sharpen, Unsharp Mask, and 3d LUT - Medium buffer wait time, not the best for over 20 second playback time, but not bad at all for short playback. Absolutely no frames dropped. Could work with this where needed, but definitely slower pace.


Ram certainly is your best friend with 8K. Playback buffer eats it up pretty quickly. 48 GB will give you roughly 14 seconds at Full, and certainly more at 1/2 Res, but with Rocket-X at 1/2 Res it reloads so fast you don't need nearly as much RAM to get any benefit by buffering out that far.


My thoughts: Fuck yes! My Rocket-X/iMac combo still kicks butt at 8K!! Especially when it's being choked pretty good by living in an external enclosure. I'm definitely happy what I'm seeing.
 
Interesting. Thanks Brody.

Looks like Im going to have to get a Red Rocket. Let me ask you, how many PCIe slots do you need for the rocket? I see a sonnet echo that has one slot and is about 300 bucks. Is that enough? Does anyone recommend other enclosres for the Rocket X?
 
Interesting. Thanks Brody.

Looks like Im going to have to get a Red Rocket. Let me ask you, how many PCIe slots do you need for the rocket? I see a sonnet echo that has one slot and is about 300 bucks. Is that enough? Does anyone recommend other enclosres for the Rocket X?

Be wary, jarred said that using new nvidia cards will be the way to go in the future if you don't have a RR yet. They'll most likely not produce any more Rocket cards. I'm lining up a GTX 1080 and should run 8k in near realtime.
 
Be wary, jarred said that using new nvidia cards will be the way to go in the future if you don't have a RR yet. They'll most likely not produce any more Rocket cards. I'm lining up a GTX 1080 and should run 8k in near realtime.


This is definitely true. Not sure about the compatibility of different GPUs in external setups on Mac OS tho, Somewhere I heard OSX doesn't support it?? Im sure others know more than me on that one. The Sonnet echo express 3 is the only one for RRX or or other large GPU's, retails for about $800. TB3 is gonna be a game changer for external GPU's RRX, and I believe the Sonnet is upgradable to TB3 when its out.
 
This is definitely true. Not sure about the compatibility of different GPUs in external setups on Mac OS tho, Somewhere I heard OSX doesn't support it?? Im sure others know more than me on that one. The Sonnet echo express 3 is the only one for RRX or or other large GPU's, retails for about $800. TB3 is gonna be a game changer for external GPU's RRX, and I believe the Sonnet is upgradable to TB3 when its out.

Totally true. This time last year i built my machine and its been really rewarding. Difficult at first but reaping the benefits of just swapping GPU now. Not sure about specific compatibility.
 
I feel like its time to build myself a machine. Although I was also toying with the idea of getting the new macbook pro. a screen, and something external like Brody's setup, so that when im home i can fly, but im also portable if need be for trips etc.

Guess I want too much. Hah
 
For edit, a lot of machines will do... Open up Premiere, throw in .r3d raw... Switch to 1/2 or 1/4 res if needed... doesn't matter, it's the edit... PP handles .r3d files very very well...

the real deal is for color and vfx... Need machines that handle everything in full res in real time... Custom build is best but will still be very expensive...
 
The 1080 will be outgunned by the new the GTX 1080 Ti according to itech
http://www.itechpost.com/articles/3...-1080-ti-release-date-points-january-2017.htm

"is expected to deliver a performance close to the Titan X. Rumored specs include 3,328 CUDA cores and 12GB GDDR5X, as per TechSpot. It is also said that it will come with 1,503 MHz as its base clock and 1,623 MHz as boost clock."

Rumoured to be unveiled Jan 2017. Worth waiting for?


Mike Brennan
 
For edit, a lot of machines will do... Open up Premiere, throw in .r3d raw... Switch to 1/2 or 1/4 res if needed... doesn't matter, it's the edit... PP handles .r3d files very very well...

the real deal is for color and vfx... Need machines that handle everything in full res in real time... Custom build is best but will still be very expensive...

ahh more like 1/8th res tops if your trying to work with Helium 8k
 
ahh more like 1/8th res tops if your trying to work with Helium 8k

solely depends on ur machine... still, doesn't matter for edit but u can still always switch to full res to inspect the frame in full detail to make A/B editing decisions... editing in raw without proxies in PP is a piece of cake...

problem is the compatibility of the exported XML in other apps but that's a different story...
 
I have a rocket-X + Sonnet enclosure I'm looking to move if you decide to go that route.

I don't have a better solution, I'm just not transcoding / editing as much in my new job. Rocket still has the dedicated de-encrypt and custom decode, so id expect it to have at least another good year and a half of use, especially with all the 8K cameras that are going live tomorrow, especially for people on Mac.
 
GTX 1080 is the way to go.. no doubt.
 
Back
Top