Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DSMC2 Side Handle Vs Outrigger VS GDU Cowboy handle

I've just done a shoot where I needed to have the Helium completely mobile. The side handle didnt arrive on time so we went with the outrigger. We used xl's as our power option with the old 5" touch. I have to say I loved this setup. With the Dragon, When full mobility was needed I used the sidehandle, redvolts and the 5" touch.

With the outrigger, compared to the Epic Dragon side handle setup, you gain a solid grip that helps transport the camera with an XL attached. It was better to take from one place to another, ready to shoot when something happened, less tiring than with the dragon side handle setup. The dsmc 2 also has a record button which is great and creates for a similar function as the side handle. We lost the aperture and shutter control for our canon lenses with it though and had to go to the 5" which was a big drawback from the side handle. Ideally, having both setup- is it possible- would be a great, ergonomic shooting scenario. One thing i dislike a bit on the outrigger is that the record button is too hard to press because of its "airplane fire" design. We missed a couple of shots because of it at the beginning, but being aware of it it becomes a non problem. One just needs to press harder!
 
GDU Cowboy Grip Fingerwheel Clamp

GDU Cowboy Grip Fingerwheel Clamp

I saw this finger wheel clamp on the RTMotion setup but it is not sold separately. Any suggestions for a clamp that is wide enough and fits cowboy handle grip?
 

Attachments

  • Thumbwheel-X-2.jpg
    Thumbwheel-X-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gdu_thumbwheel clamp.jpg
    gdu_thumbwheel clamp.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
TopPlateCombo.png

I did the similar setup because I wanted a rail solution that quickly comes on/off for packing. Top plate, side rails, and rail clamp to the GDU handles. The sturdiest solution I found was using all RED accessories (Swat rail and Rail clamp w/ rosette). It will cost a nice penny for all the added accessories though.

Just a tip for anyone who wants to try this solution at a fraction of the cost (I'm talking deep discount). I experimented with a few SmallRig rail options and I was very surprised at how much I liked it. I prefer RED's solution for it's sturdiness but the SmallRig option is a good one without breaking the bank. It also has a smaller footprint.

Here are photos to compare...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6588.jpg
    IMG_6588.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8751.jpg
    IMG_8751.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0
tom, what did you use in between the smallrig clamp and the rosette?
 
tom, what did you use in between the smallrig clamp and the rosette?


Tom, do you have a link to the SmallRig part? I like that it gets the handles closer to the camera.


To answer both, these are the parts I used to make this happen...


Top Plate (OffHollywood)
https://offhollywoodny.com/collections/mounting-support/products/dsmc2-top-plate

Nato Rail x2 (SmallRig)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHCFNWE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nato Clamp x2 (SmallRig)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22Y14W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or same but cheaper...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSFZ4F5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A5YAN1KBUCMDG

Adapter x2 (Manfrotto) You need this. The threaded center hole on the nato clamp is 3/8... not 1/4 like the photo suggests
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JLK5NW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also washers and 2 x 1/4-20 Screws long enough to attach the handle to the clamp.

I should mention a few things.

PROS
- Much cheaper
- The handle sits about an inch closer to the body
- Quick mount/dismount
- Forward/backward adjustable
- Rails are lower profile

CONS
- You cannot use this in conjunction with the LEMO Adapter on the SSD side.
- The SmallRig clamp fits only their rails. You can't use this clamp on RED Nato rails, it's a tid too tight.

Hope that helps
 
Last edited:
Back
Top