Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon vs Epic - underexposure/ overexposure test

Heh. Starting alarmingly soon the new OLPF and Sensor Calibration will be available in all new bodies and upgraded bodies. I only say old because there is a new cool :)

The interesting thing is if you have a Dragon it is indeed optional to send it in for the new tech, which Red is installing for free. Though, I don't know how many people will hold onto those potential uglies the older OLPF produces (magenta highlight orbs, IR glare/reflection, potential lifted shadow noise due to IR contaminatio). Plus you get more color stability and highlight retention at the top end while maintaining the same midtone exposure and base shadow density with the New Calibration.


While there is no doubt Dragon M8 will go back in for the new OLPF+Calibration, current OLPF still produces some of the best and most Kick Ass imagery I have ever seen form any motion camera and better then many Still cameras within the same and or bigger sensor and of the same or higher pixel count, but yes, one must be a bit more careful with some of the light sources the lens is pointing at as we discovered during the shoot at Red Studios Hollywood in September.

All I know is that Dragon M8 will be producing some serious Imagery on the "old" OLPF till NAB... ;)
 
With digital cams I gave up trying to overexpose in-camera long ago (focused on just exposing correctly and to properly fill the histogram) and then some time later I learned how to dial convincing "overexposed" looks like harsh, gentle or glowing soft in post. From what I've seen lately, Dragon looks surprisingly fine over and under. Seriously, with cameras like this you have absolutely no excuses and no opportunity anymore to blame the camera for your f-ups in any way whatsoever (I should know, I f-d up very often).
 
thanks Michael,
any change to upload R3D snapshots ?
thanks
g

Yes, please. R3D stills of the setups would be great.

We're having a discussion over on the Red versus Blue string about green cast Dragon vs. Alexa and I'd love to be able to compare Dragon vs. Epic in the same way.

Thanks, as always, for these tests!
 
Back
Top