Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon Sensor Upgrade

McKay Olson

Active member
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is it smart to buy the Scarlet now or wait for the Dragon Sensor upgrade, since it will be out by the end of the year? Or if you buy the Scarlet now, will it be a free upgrade, or is that only for the Epic? Thanks!
 
Is it smart to buy the Scarlet now or wait for the Dragon Sensor upgrade, since it will be out by the end of the year? Or if you buy the Scarlet now, will it be a free upgrade, or is that only for the Epic? Thanks!

It's going to be while for Scarlet owners. First in line for the upgrade are Epic owners. So who knows how long it will take for Scarlet owners. We also don't know how much it will cost for Scarlet upgrades. We're guessing between 6K and 10K.
 
I think that free upgrade to Dragon for a new Epic is if you spend a minimum amount of $50,000 IIRC.
 
Yea I would really say to get one now if you can. Chances are a Scarlets/Epics with the Dragon already installed may not be available for maybe up to a year from now. If you buy one with an MX now, you get to use it now and make some cash hopefully, and you'll get earlier dibs on the Dragon upgrade. Remember they'll likely wait until all current Epic/Scarlet owners get their shot at the upgrade before they release it to brand new owners.
 
Agree. In my opinion the only safe business model for purchasing any camera right now is knowing there is enough work to pay it off completely in 6-8 months...a year tops. Things are changing to quickly and folks shouldn't be buying anything they're gonna be stuck with.
 
It's getting closer to 2013. Any news on the Dragon release in 2012?
 
Jim and Jarred have been quiet lately - probably burning the midnight oil prepping Dragon!
We can only hope. I really want to see what they can make the Scarlet do. I'm in no hurry to get it, I just want to know what it will offer specs wise.
 
i say your safe buying a used scarlet for under $15k here on reduser pay the $750 Owner Transfer Fee ASAP before any Dragon announcements.

You'll have 4K no problem and hopefully with enough gigs you can start to work up to Dragon for it maybe til NAB 2013 once we get concrete info.

Or get all your support straight prime lens - FF - MB - Sticks - Filters - Zooms and settle with a BMC wait until Dragon Announcement maybe get a used Scarlet for even cheaper? Your taking a risk of course but who knows there maybe other options by then.

if you have the money keep your eyes peeled there are good deals all the time on this site
 
too quite :) We miss you late night owls!

Jim and Jarred have been quiet lately - probably burning the midnight oil prepping Dragon!
 
It's simple, get a Scarlet now if you want to shoot now. You can shoot in 4k/RAW, with the 2nd best camera and the same sensor thats being used for the biggest blockbusters today. Isn't that enough for the moment? ;) The waiting game makes you loose opportunities and probably jobs too, which might end up loosing more money than you'll eventually save by waiting for a next Scarlet model (which nobody knows anything about yet).

Also keep in mind that RED's past upgrade-offers were more than fair, i doubt this will change for Scarlet-owners.
 
Back
Top