Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon´s Leash (aka RED TETHER)

no, what u're talking about is the required bandwidth for ur specific settings... that is not the max bandwidth for tethering available in ur signal chain.
max bandwidth is determined by a few factors, including capabilities of both ethernet ports, cables and write speed of ur disks.

--> meaning: on a faster signal chain, lower compression ratios would be enabled
so the question is - for the RED team - whether RCX does a quick and dirty system check and then determines the max bandwidth available for systems, or if the RED devs just hard code a "safe" default max bandwidth value...e...

not correct.


... weither there is a secure bandwidth check or not is the same question i was raising / proposing already - and RED did not post any statement, which i guess is what we have to respect.

... however, the results shared are the ones I´m getting out of various tests, looking for the lowest/highest compression ratios possible (aka highest data throughput resulting from most demanding combinations of settings - by going through ALL of them) This was specifically done to answer the questions posted by fellow RU ;-)

Furthermore, I did various combinations, with different drives, sata, usb, different machines, etc. ..... to test on the lower extreme ...
... although "theoretically", there would be higher bandwidth on Giganet .... at this point, it won´t help to throw a fibre channel at some part of the "the signal chain" ... ;-)


Not really. You are limited in frame rates / REDcode to the speed of Gigabit pipe and most better spinning hard drives can surpass that now.

R3D's Written off camera. Either to your laptop drive or an external drive hooked up through your Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 port on your laptop. No cap on Resolution, as the resolution/frame rates go up the REDCODE needs to as well to compensate. This is an obvious workflow for the stills guys. You can grab 3:2 6K stills with super low compression stills or bursts of stills.For Motion, you can expect to shoot 6K @ 24fps around Redcode 10:1 till the Gig-E pipe gets saturated.


Nothing to add from my side, back to business - hope it helped to report on the beauty of tethered shooting - beyond stills!

All i can say is, i am super happy with what it does - recorded a full day with no hiccups whatsoever .... love it!

:-)


P.S.
If you want to test it for yourself, I have 3 tethered dragons available for film collaboration ... just get in touch via facebook message to see if it logistically makes sense ...
 
Has anyone else had issues with tethering since upgrading to v6.0.20? I tested v6.0.10, I think, with my Scarlet-X Dragon tethering and I was able to connect and record a stream. Now, on v6.0.20, I've not been able to get it working again. I can connect and change the settings (as long as Remote Control in Ethernet settings is checked) but get "Record. Stream recording error due to server not connected." as soon as I try to record or preview. The camera then gets stuck with the greyed-out Stream indicator on the screen until I flash the firmware again. It will mount and play back from the SSD but it won't record to it or eject it. I updated Redcine-X yesterday as well, so I should be using all the latest software. Any ideas?

Is Tether recording possible only with Dragon sensors?

Yes, that's been asserted somewhere.
 
In fact, if anyone running v6.0.20 would be game to test tethered recording and post back here, that would be really helpful. I forgot to mention in my last post that I was trying to record to a Mac running Yosemite.
 
In fact, if anyone running v6.0.20 would be game to test tethered recording and post back here, that would be really helpful. I forgot to mention in my last post that I was trying to record to a Mac running Yosemite.

I did manage to get it to work, but I also sent a note to the docs team at Red that they really could do a much better job at both defining and explaining how the system really is supposed to work. We are now in the 4th decade of TCP/IP and their system looks and behaves not unlike pre-Interop systems did in the mid-1980s.
 
Hi Detlev - really interesting.....!

I'm really curious to know whether a faster Mac and storage destination drive might mean that lower compression at 6K is possible. I'll give this a test later in the week if I can do and post some results here.

Thanks!
 
Any reason adding a longer ethernet cable wouldn't work with this setup?
And...is it possible to do simultaneous record to R3D as well as tethered?
 
Last edited:
So I've had a lot of problems with this tethering. Could not get it to work on my macbook pro, finally I got it working on a pc during the shoot. But it was really buggy, many times it just simply stopped recording. (I kept the ratio really low to make sure it kept running 15:1) I really would have liked to use this for my new project that involves recording a single view for 24 hours.

Now through the magic of a company called Aero Quartet I am able to revive many of the lost clips on the harddrive (they were simply gone), but unfortunately it comes in as Redcode inside a .Mov file. Because of this I can not edit any of the Raw settings.

Does anyone know any app that adjust the Redcode settings inside a .mov container, or convert the files back to R3d? Davinci doesn't recognize it at all, but I can at least open in FCPx (but not edit raw settings).
 
So I've had a lot of problems with this tethering. Could not get it to work on my macbook pro, finally I got it working on a pc during the shoot. But it was really buggy, many times it just simply stopped recording. (I kept the ratio really low to make sure it kept running 15:1) I really would have liked to use this for my new project that involves recording a single view for 24 hours.

Now through the magic of a company called Aero Quartet I am able to revive many of the lost clips on the harddrive (they were simply gone), but unfortunately it comes in as Redcode inside a .Mov file. Because of this I can not edit any of the Raw settings.

Does anyone know any app that adjust the Redcode settings inside a .mov container, or convert the files back to R3d? Davinci doesn't recognize it at all, but I can at least open in FCPx (but not edit raw settings).

have u tried renaming the .mov to .r3d ?
 
Anyone been successful with using the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter on a tether? I'm all updated on firmware/redcine X Pro and it works on my 2013 Mac Pro, but not on my 2012 Retina MBp with the Apple adapter. I've filed a ticket and they're looking into it, but seeing if anyone else is working.
Also, I'm running OSX 10.11 on both machines.
 
Anyone been successful with using the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter on a tether? I'm all updated on firmware/redcine X Pro and it works on my 2013 Mac Pro, but not on my 2012 Retina MBp with the Apple adapter. I've filed a ticket and they're looking into it, but seeing if anyone else is working.
Also, I'm running OSX 10.11 on both machines.

Hey David,

Got my cable earlier today, and was having the exact same issue. Was going to going to ask if you had figured this one out or not, but ended up solving it on my end after reading the Cine-X manual.

The problem seems to be with using a converter and DCHP. I purchased 2 converters, the thunderbolt, and a usb3, both would show as recognized in Cine-X/RedTether but couldn't connect to show settings or a preview. So, I followed the steps on page 80 in the manual to connect to them manually and it worked. Note that for the thunderbolt, I had to add the network as "Thunderbolt Ethernet" and not Thunderbolt Bridge" in the network settings menu on OSX.

Let me know if that solves the issue on your end.

-Jules
 
Thanks, Jules.
I was able to get camera control, but I'm still unable to preview or record via the Thunderbolt/ethernet adapter. When I push the preview or record button I get the error message in the pic. "Stream Recording error due to server not connected". Red support says it's a network issue, but they aren't sure what specifically.
IMG_7841.jpg
 
I suppose this would work and give beautiful results for Raven:
4k Full Format, 25p, 5:1 -> the Redcode calculator shows 68 MB/sec
4:1 seems to be too much datarate with 85MB/sec

Anyone tried it?
 
Wow I hadn't realized this was possible!

I would suggest Mac Users use Thunderbolt SSD's if possible. I just purchased two Kingston Savage HyperX drives (for Blackmagic 4K prodution camera, they handle 4K RAW DNG) and there performance over USB 3.0 leaves...a lot to be desired....however they are rated for 560MB/s read 530MB/s write and I get 420-450MB/s MAX over USB3.0....still I can capture uncompressed via a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle pretty nicely...I've been on the SSD train for video editing for a while vs single disk HDD's....as HDD's fill up they definitely get slower where as my SSD's never get slower, and I really fill these things up, I mean I had 7GB's of free space on a HyperX the other day and the speed was still 420-450MB/s read and write....that said I think USB 3.0 has too much overhead not to mention CPU usage....when using my Blackmagic capture card going from PCIe to Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt PCIe HDD I always noticed much less CPU usage even when the capture card was transcoding to ProRes 4444. Gonna grab an Samsung Evo Pro 850 and two more Savage HyperX drive's soon, I hear flash memory is getting more expensive and Amazon is showing later shipping dates (even with Prime) for some popular drives.

This really has made me consider renting a RED even more.....

Has anyone tried the tether while just outputting prores?


Very curious about this as well.
 
Anyone tried this with an Epic-W? Curious to see what kind of results are possible with that guy.
 
So this allows me to send a live feed from my red directly to my laptop and use the laptop as a monitor? I noticed you guys were saying that it transfers in whatever resolution you're shooting it. But what if all I want is to take reference screen captures or 1080 screen capture? Do I need specific hardware on my early 2015 i5 2.7 macbook pro? It doesn't have an ethernet port. Would an ethernet to usb 3 work?
 
Back
Top