Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon Canon Mount Issue

Daniel Doherty

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Burbank
Hello All,

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues I am. My Dragon fails to read the aperture from certain Canon lenses. Specifically, the Canon 24-70mm II and 70-200mm II. These lenses worked flawlessly on my Epic. I also have Canon L series primes which work intermittently.

For reference, both lenses perform as they should on my 5D MkIII and 6D.

Wondering if this issue is pervasive or am I just the unlucky recipient of a faulty Dragon.

Thanks,

Daniel
 
Hello All,

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues I am. My Dragon fails to read the aperture from certain Canon lenses. Specifically, the Canon 24-70mm II and 70-200mm II. These lenses worked flawlessly on my Epic. I also have Canon L series primes which work intermittently.

For reference, both lenses perform as they should on my 5D MkIII and 6D.

Wondering if this iss
ue is pervasive or am I just the unlucky recipient of a faulty Dragon.

Thanks,

Daniel

Did you already went to the dragon lensmenu while your lenses are on your Dragon? Could solve your problems!
 
Etienne, is asking is your EF mount aluminum or titanium, the latter being stronger and likely more precise over time.
 
I'm using the AL Canon Mount. The behavior is very erratic. It never works with the 24-70mm VII or the 70-200mm VII and only occasionally works with the Canon L series primes.
 
Last edited:
Just wanted to post an update for those that are still struggling with their Canon lenses.

I discovered that both lenses which were failing to communicate with the camera have the unique ability to turn too far on RED's Canon Mount. That is, they can rotate past the point where the pins on the camera are in alignment with the contact points on the lens, thereby disabling communication. You have to rotate the lens very slowly while attaching it to the mount to catch it. You can hear the inner mechanics activating along with a slight "click" when it hits the right point, at which time you simply have to secure the lens with the outer ring on the Canon mount. These lenses don't behave the same way on my 5D, 6D, or T5i. They can't be turned/rotated too far or past the point of pin alignment. However, my other Canon lenses don't exhibit this behavior at all on RED's Canon mount so I must conclude it's a combination of RED's Canon Mount and the lenses. I can't say for sure but the good news is I can now use my favorite Canon lenses on my Dragon. Balance and harmony have been restored. Hope this helps someone.

Forgot to mention, this is using the latest firmware.
 
Back
Top