Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

dpx / timecode issue

voivod

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi all,

another timecode issue regarding dpx-export:

in RedCine Build82 WinXP: loading 2 scenes, doing simple edit (change in and out), export as dpx-file sequence

what happens is:
the dpx timecode has an offset to the original source timecode. unfortunatly the offset changes from event to event - so no possibility of (easily) changing it afterwards. it happens whether you export to folders or as one sequence. Interesting 1: a burned-in timecode is correct, the metadata not.
Interesting 2: the status line is red during rendering and shows the wrong timecode and remains red afterwards. before rendering it is white and shows the correct TC

This happens using manual edit in RedCine and using the xml variant. I haven´t found any solution yet.

I don´t think it is the 24fps/25fps issue - as Project is set to 24fps and Metadata say it is shot 24fps

I need the correct dpx timecode to continue working with the files. Scratch is not an option, we are using Baselight. I read that some people are having the workflow FCP-RedCine-Baselight/Resolve/Lustre. So they must have the same problem. Or is it only me?

Any help/tips appreciated
Regards,
Tom
 
Hi Kjetil,

no unfortunatly not. I also tried the Mac Version but always when I try to export dpx files (from an edited clip or sequence) the dpx timecode has an offset and is therfore unusable for me.

Do you have the same problem? I am still wondering why I didn´t find any other thread regarding this issue as I would think ther should be more people with this problem.

Regards,
Tom
 
Just got my camera and I'm doing tests next week trying to find a pipline with DPX as the end result. This worries me. I've noticed the TC slot in shot setting is a slider and can be changed manually. Could it be that we have to manually set TC to match the new in point?

We can only hope that the next Redcine (should have been here already) has at least these major issues resolved. How can we possibly do a conform from offline without proper timecode?
 
Hi all,

another timecode issue regarding dpx-export:

in RedCine Build82 WinXP: loading 2 scenes, doing simple edit (change in and out), export as dpx-file sequence

what happens is:
the dpx timecode has an offset to the original source timecode. unfortunatly the offset changes from event to event - so no possibility of (easily) changing it afterwards. it happens whether you export to folders or as one sequence. Interesting 1: a burned-in timecode is correct, the metadata not.
Interesting 2: the status line is red during rendering and shows the wrong timecode and remains red afterwards. before rendering it is white and shows the correct TC

This happens using manual edit in RedCine and using the xml variant. I haven´t found any solution yet.

I don´t think it is the 24fps/25fps issue - as Project is set to 24fps and Metadata say it is shot 24fps

I need the correct dpx timecode to continue working with the files. Scratch is not an option, we are using Baselight. I read that some people are having the workflow FCP-RedCine-Baselight/Resolve/Lustre. So they must have the same problem. Or is it only me?

Any help/tips appreciated
Regards,
Tom

What software are you using to read the DPX metadata?

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, Inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
Hi Lucas,

read the Metadata with Fusion 5.2 and Baselight four.

I made another test:

load shot into RedCine.
Metadata Info in RedCine says: Start Run Record / Edge Timecode: 01:02:08:19
in Shot Settings it says 01:02:08:18
Burn in Timecode: 01:02:08:18

Export dpx - dpx Metadata 01:02:08:19 while the burn in shows ...:18

if you activate Project/Display Guide Settings/Show Source TC: 01:02:08:19

and finally if you export to Quicktime and use Metacheater utility to extract TC: 01:02:08:18

so this would mean an offset of 1 frame to the dpx export.
this could be handled, but the offsets regarding an edited export from RedCine are much bigger and not consistent.

Maybe it all starts because the player starts counting with 0 but the shot settings use 1 as start? (the overall lenght is correct)

Many thanks for getting involved

Kind regards,
Tom
 
I did another test with different material:

dpx export and timecode was correct when exporting a single shot (no offset)
BUT
after editing 2 shots in RedCine and exporting as dpx the timecode still has an offset
for example:
first edit starts at 01:02:41:23 (correcly shown in RedCine and Burnt in) - dpx metadata shows ...:41:19
second edit starts at 01:00:46:16 (correcly shown in RedCine and Burnt in) - dpx metadata shows ...:46:06

Can somebody replicate this problem? And is it a bug? - or is there still something I am missing? Any help/ideas very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tom
 
I did another test with different material:

dpx export and timecode was correct when exporting a single shot (no offset)
BUT
after editing 2 shots in RedCine and exporting as dpx the timecode still has an offset
for example:
first edit starts at 01:02:41:23 (correcly shown in RedCine and Burnt in) - dpx metadata shows ...:41:19
second edit starts at 01:00:46:16 (correcly shown in RedCine and Burnt in) - dpx metadata shows ...:46:06

Can somebody replicate this problem? And is it a bug? - or is there still something I am missing? Any help/ideas very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Tom

Tom,

I know several facilities using REDCINE to generate frames, and have privately asked them and they do not report the same issue. So... let's figure it out...

My first thought - does your framerate in REDCINE match the framerate of the clips?

Lucas
 
Lucas,
thank you for your effort.
Yes, the framerate of the shots is 24fps and project settings are 24 fps (default)

Tom
 
re: 4K 16:9

re: 4K 16:9

4K 16:9 - DONT USE - unless you are going to create a DPX sequence, dump onto a timeline (i.e. Baselight), set a new timecode and make HDSR masters - then bsp for offline.

There is little else you can do with 4K 16:9 in REDCine.


4K 2:1 - All the software works - thats to say RED Alert & Quicktime exports with time of day t/c.
 
Thanks for the reply. I am using 4K 2:1.
Just tested with build 90 but unfortunatly my problem still exists.
Editing 2 different shots in RedCine and export as dpx: timecode doesn´t match with source tc shown in RedCine.

Thinking about the following workflow:
RedCine Export small Quicktimes with timecode (via Metacheater) for Avid
Edit in Avid
export "Telecine EDL" from Avid (meaning an edl who has all used shots as simple edits with handles)
import "Telecine EDL" to RedCine and "conform"
export as dpx (only the shots which will probably in the final edit) with correct source timecode
conform in baselight/smoke etc

cut downs edited with Avid
conform again with baselight/smoke etc as

well thats what I thought of. I don´t want to export everything from RedCine - no need to waste that many Terras and Time.
but it seems I am doing something wrong.
 
why dont you use RED Alert if you have 4K 2:1? - all the t/c should match.


d
 
problem solved. Metadata said 24fps. I didn´t know it was shot on 25fps. Changing the Metadata with Lukis trick:
Nick,

While this is investigated, there is a quite easy workaround.

In the Library, click on the bottom third of a clip. This pulls up a metadata window for the clip. Change the framerate to 25. Now go back to the Player and scrub source timecode, and you will see it count from :00 to :24.

Now go back and change that framerate to 24. Player will now count from :00 to :23.

Best,

Lucas

solved the problem. But you have to export to different folders and not a contious dpx sequence.
 
Back
Top