Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Deposit Hold for Epic?

Andrew Huse

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
San Diego, CA
Website
www.andrewhuse.com
So I just landed an amazing new job today as a Video producer, and I now have the budget for Epic-X. Ive calculated the
money I have saved up with the money I'm going to be making, and I come a couple thousand short of the $28,000 needed...before December 31st... I don't want to pay the extra $7,000 after the end of the year.
Can I put a deposit down and "hold" my spot in line for stage 4 Epic X, then pay the rest of the funds in Janurary for the brain at the $28,000 price? Or is this wishful thinking?
 
I think many of us are in the same boat here. Jim mentioned we will be able to order our cameras before the end of the year at current prices, if I remember correctly. Accessories too.
 
I guess the other question is - how will you pay for the rest of what you will need to make the kit functional? Batteries, mounting accesories, lcd, batteries - the list goes on...
 
$28k is just the brain, don't forget that.

You still need SSD media, EVF, Touchscreen, Batteries (Bricks as well as Red Volts if you want longer than 30-40 mins power)

Then there's audio i/o, mounts, rods etc, etc.

Plus if you want to view your rushes the same day you will need a Rocket.

Lenses?

$28k won't get you shooting, sorry.
 
Of course I'm aware I'm not going to be shooting with just a brain! All the accessories will be added as I get the money. I will have a working model by February. The whole reason for this thread is to see if I can put a deposit down for the brain by the end of the year so I can avoid the $7,000 price increase. I shot with Epic-M in Hawaii; I am well aware of the accessories that epic needs to work.
 
My question is what's the price on Epic-S gonna be? Is there going to be an option to order by the end of the year at the theoretical relative price to the Epic-X for around 12-14k, or will it just start at the "new" price which will probably end up somewhere between 15-18k after the new year?
 
Of course I'm aware I'm not going to be shooting with just a brain! All the accessories will be added as I get the money. I will have a working model by February. The whole reason for this thread is to see if I can put a deposit down for the brain by the end of the year so I can avoid the $7,000 price increase. I shot with Epic-M in Hawaii; I am well aware of the accessories that epic needs to work.

You didn't supply any of that info in your original post.

So, relax. It was an attempt to help you.

As it was, you ased a question that had already been asked, and answered, before. Yes, you can pre-pay at the $28k price sometime before then end of the year.
 
if you're going to invest in an epic-x, i would wait until $7 isn't quite such a deal-breaker.
 
Can I put a deposit down and "hold" my spot in line for stage 4 Epic X, then pay the rest of the funds in Janurary for the brain at the $28,000 price? Or is this wishful thinking?

Please note: EPIC-X Brain price was $27,500 + $500 for aluminum mount = $28,000. Since the aluminum mount is no longer an option, the current EPIC-X Brain is really $27,500 + $2000 for Ti PL Mount = $29,500. Same goes for 2012 price of EPIC-X Brain. $34,500 + $2000 = $36,500 including Ti PL Mount. Sorry about the oversight.

Jim
Andrew, it's $29,500, not $28,000 for the brain...
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?60950-Significant-Update...
 
So I just landed an amazing new job today as a Video producer, and I now have the budget for Epic-X. Ive calculated the
money I have saved up with the money I'm going to be making, and I come a couple thousand short of the $28,000 needed...before December 31st... I don't want to pay the extra $7,000 after the end of the year.
Can I put a deposit down and "hold" my spot in line for stage 4 Epic X, then pay the rest of the funds in Janurary for the brain at the $28,000 price? Or is this wishful thinking?

I would like to know this too :c
 
if you're going to invest in an epic-x, i would wait until $7 isn't quite such a deal-breaker.
He might have a long wait until a $7,000 savings is so unimportant that you just let it go by.
 
Since the two are separated out by price and the wording has always been "brain only", it may be possible to buy the Stage 4 Epic brain without the Ti PL mount. RED policy is not clearly stated on this, as far as I can tell. Implied? yes. Absolute?...???.

Stage 4 is a purchase only of an EPIC-X Brain for $29,500 (includes upgraded Titanium PL Mount).

Additional note: We have discontinued the aluminum PL mount option for EPIC.

Jim
IMHO, Jim's quote makes it pretty clear that Stage 4 Epic brains come with the Ti PL mount...
http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?60950-Significant-Update...&p=790509&viewfull=1#post790509

Having said that, I don't need the PL mount and would love being able to choose the Canon mount instead (for Stage 4).
 
Andrew,

I don't believe it would be an option, otherwise RED would really surprise me yet again!!

It would only make sense to offer such early warning, so to make those interested in buying do so before end of fiscal year 2011, and with the need to be paid in full.

You could pay in full for the Brain only and then buy the rest of the gear piece by piece as needed.


However if all you need is 6:1 24p then there is absolutely no reason to invest inane Epic X, as Epic-s will serve you just nicely, and then some... ;)

Just remember to wait to see the final specs of the S before trying to make a decision, as HDRx is something you do not want to be without,
but I am pretty confident that 48fps is not an issue on the Epic-S, so you get your HDRx 24p material when needed.
 
Nevermind. Im just gonna go with Epic-S... 6:1 24p is all I want anyway.
I once considered that, but then I learned the Epic S is not upgradeable to the Dragon sensor. I don't really have enough information to know whether that is important or not, but I do want the option, just in case.
 
I am pretty confident that 48fps is not an issue on the Epic-S, so you get your HDRx 24p material when needed.

Don't quote me, but I believe Jim said they are aiming for up to 60fps at 5k and 120fps at 2k for the Epic-S. Still one amazing piece of camera. I'm still debating between X and S, but it might be smart to go with S and invest more money in glass and accessories.
 
Back
Top