Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

December 1st Dragon Sensor upgrade price increase reminder

PROS OF SELLING BEFORE 1st DEC
-If you cant upgrade yet.. The theory that Red Epics will drop in value Dec 1st so its upgrade or die.* (because of price hike)
-You can get lots of glass, and an O.K. 4K camera or DSLR with the cash.. and still have something left over.
-For some, become loan-free

CONS OF SELLING BEFORE 1st DEC
-Losing the Redcode magic
-Disappear in a world 1,000,000,000 other DSLR users (especially 5Ds)
 
Any chance of a Black Friday Sale? :001_rolleyes:

If RED ever had a "sale", it means we have been taken over by aliens. However, don't forget you have the EPIC-X DRAGON (brain only) at $24,000 hitting RED.com on or before Dec 1.
 
Thats my Black Friday Christmas miracle!!!

If RED ever had a "sale", it means we have been taken over by aliens. However, don't forget you have the EPIC-X DRAGON (brain only) at $24,000 hitting RED.com on or before Dec 1.
 
Why is it always like this during upgrade/price updates?

Did our current cameras all of a sudden stop working or become obsolete?

No, but the market for rental drops. Everyone wants the new sensor and people charge as much for the Dragon as for the MX which means that the profit for renting out an MX drops a lot. That is, if you can rent it out to anyone who want it over a Dragon. So, even though Red says "Obsolescence Obsolete" it still doesn't apply to the real world. And the more they increase the price, the more people get left behind. Some may wait for the next sensor after Dragon, but then they don't know if the camera body will be able to handle it, so it means that you upgrade or you will get kinda left behind.
 
No, but the market for rental drops. Everyone wants the new sensor and people charge as much for the Dragon as for the MX which means that the profit for renting out an MX drops a lot. That is, if you can rent it out to anyone who want it over a Dragon. So, even though Red says "Obsolescence Obsolete" it still doesn't apply to the real world. And the more they increase the price, the more people get left behind. Some may wait for the next sensor after Dragon, but then they don't know if the camera body will be able to handle it, so it means that you upgrade or you will get kinda left behind.


I do understand your situation. Where I am, I dont rent much and there are only a few REDs to go around.

I didnt get into this to race with anyone locally.

I just wanted to shoot and learn at my own pace.
 
I've contacted Red Europe at Pinewood and they still haven't heard anything about Dragon Epic X on December 1st, at least nothing official..., will they have bodies in to ship on December 1st or will there be a delay?
 
I've contacted Red Europe at Pinewood and they still haven't heard anything about Dragon Epic X on December 1st, at least nothing official..., will they have bodies in to ship on December 1st or will there be a delay?

This might be something Red has to critically adress, since December 1st is very soon.

I do understand your situation. Where I am, I dont rent much and there are only a few REDs to go around.

I didnt get into this to race with anyone locally.

I just wanted to shoot and learn at my own pace.

Yes, it depends on the situation, but it took me a long time to save money for the Epic-X and I'm already on my last dimes. I could risk a lot of things by going for the upgrade, but I also risk a lot of things by not doing it. Either I decide that rental isn't an option and I continue just using it for my own purposes and projects, or, I upgrade and focus on getting it rented a lot to cover up the cost, but risk having very little to spend on additional equipment that I need.
 
This has been addressed.


I've contacted Red Europe at Pinewood and they still haven't heard anything about Dragon Epic X on December 1st, at least nothing official..., will they have bodies in to ship on December 1st or will there be a delay?

This might be something Red has to critically adress, since December 1st is very soon.



Yes, it depends on the situation, but it took me a long time to save money for the Epic-X and I'm already on my last dimes. I could risk a lot of things by going for the upgrade, but I also risk a lot of things by not doing it. Either I decide that rental isn't an option and I continue just using it for my own purposes and projects, or, I upgrade and focus on getting it rented a lot to cover up the cost, but risk having very little to spend on additional equipment that I need.
 
Yes, it depends on the situation, but it took me a long time to save money for the Epic-X and I'm already on my last dimes. I could risk a lot of things by going for the upgrade, but I also risk a lot of things by not doing it. Either I decide that rental isn't an option and I continue just using it for my own purposes and projects, or, I upgrade and focus on getting it rented a lot to cover up the cost, but risk having very little to spend on additional equipment that I need.

Hopefully whatever you decide it wont hurt you in the long run.

I am content with my Scarlet and it has served me well for what Im usually tasked with.
 
Hi all so I decided to take the plunge working with SoCal for financing. The quote invoice was dated nov 11 but it's taken a few weeks to finalize the paperwork with SoCal. Anyway, I sent out the final paper work on Tuesday night this week but because of the holiday and SoCal being closed today AND tomorrow it's looking like the PO may not be put in until Dec 1. In a situation like mine is there a good chance I will be charged the additional upgrade fee? Can someone from Red weigh in? Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
 
We will have a small task force from the Bomb Squad at the office tomorrow who can help you.

Why not somebody at the office working for this on weekend?
 
To those on the fence... Go for it. I did. I'm still paying for it and spent some important savings on it, but it was 100% worth it. I have started a threat promissing my experiences with the new sensor. Here's the first project I shot with it. Its just absolutely gorgeous- what you see here is about 60 % Dragon, 20% MX, 10% gopro 4 black (aerials and one on the rails start shot) and broadcast (1080i deinterlaced) .

The Dragon footage is practically top photography for each frame. I eill do an album of this - printed- soon.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgXuCO4-QZg

Go for it and don't look back!
 
Talk to your Red rep... I had an issue where our accounting department didn't issue the numbers I needed to submit the order until yesterday late, they gave me until Monday morning (thanks RED!!!).
 
Back
Top