Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Concerns and Questions about 8K

For a 4k deliverable a in-camera down sample from 8k to 4k is a good and viable option, compared to doing it in post if the goal is to reduce compression and reduce location data loads.
The trade off (may be) ability to simultaneously record raw, we'll see.

It looks like supersampling/downsampling from Xk to Prosres 4k in-camera will be available from a few manufacturers.
Perhaps there is something about prores that makes high quality supersampling a no brainer to implement?

Off the wall question, could raw be supersampled and maintained as raw? methinks this is a whole lot harder than doing it within pro-res??

Mike Brennan

wouldn't be raw if u touch it... although the term "raw" has been stretched anyways...

downsampling 8K to 4K in cam will not give u lower compression ratios..... it's just u saving mag space and flushing IQ down the toilet...
 
Everyone on this board knowns I bleed/sleep/eat RED Products but I have concerns about the 8K Cameras, only 2 btw...

Storage/Data/RED MAGS:
On Reviews with the StormTroopers that using a 1TB mini mag shooting 8K will only an hour of footage (that concerns me because I shoot a ton of music videos/commercials) and most productions only have 2 4TB RAID Drives. An average with my 2 weapons we go 8 cards each and almost max the drives out when wrapped shooting 6K. Also RED MAG 1TB aren't cheap I usually use 120s rarely my 512 (cause they take a long time to transfer). So My DIT's won't really be happy transferring 1TB/Plus the Producers will also not a fan of that much footage on one MAG.

Won't if I don't want to shoot 8K?:
Talked to a lot of my DP's/Clients about 8K and they say they don't need or want they cause of the Workflow/turn around times. And if i shoot 7k/6k I will punch in so making a 18mm to a 35mm or 35mm to 50mm, (unless there is a way to make it where you don't punch in which would be epic).

Thats really my major concerns and the big one is Data/Storage on big shoots. If anyone can chime in that would be epic about my issues thanks guys looking forward to the new Sensor!!!

Of course at this time we don't know all the specs of something like the Epic W, but I'm thinking that I will probably shoot at 6k most of the time and only use 8k on a scene I think I might need to push in on the frame for a 4k release. Some projects I can see just biting the data bullet and rolling at 8k throughout.

The VV sensor is probably more of an IMAX capable 8k, but I think Helium 8k just might work in that realm as well. And it wasn't too many years ago that 4k was considered "future-proofing"...
 
I'd love to go 8k Helium, but I fear it's more for bragging rights lol. I have 6k now and I don't see myself needing more than a 4k finish on anything anytime soon. Given how nice Red is to users, I'm sure another great offer will be available at some point to us Mg Weapon owners. Logic is telling me I should sit 8k out for a while.
 
Have you ever used Odyssey 7Q with FS700 or FS7?

When you are shooting on uncompressed 4K raw with 512gb memories, I remember, I shot only 28min. I think it's impressive to shoot 8K(which theoretically 4 times size of 4k) that I can shoot similar time with 4K uncompressed raw.

i am not saying that We shouldn't concern... But it's relatively similar size as "Arri raw on "4K" and "Uncompressed 4k raw"

Plus, If they don't want big size file, tell them you can give them 4K prores lol.

Producer and the editor will love you even more.

Minu

Everyone on this board knowns I bleed/sleep/eat RED Products but I have concerns about the 8K Cameras, only 2 btw...

Storage/Data/RED MAGS:
On Reviews with the StormTroopers that using a 1TB mini mag shooting 8K will only an hour of footage (that concerns me because I shoot a ton of music videos/commercials) and most productions only have 2 4TB RAID Drives. An average with my 2 weapons we go 8 cards each and almost max the drives out when wrapped shooting 6K. Also RED MAG 1TB aren't cheap I usually use 120s rarely my 512 (cause they take a long time to transfer). So My DIT's won't really be happy transferring 1TB/Plus the Producers will also not a fan of that much footage on one MAG.

Won't if I don't want to shoot 8K?:
Talked to a lot of my DP's/Clients about 8K and they say they don't need or want they cause of the Workflow/turn around times. And if i shoot 7k/6k I will punch in so making a 18mm to a 35mm or 35mm to 50mm, (unless there is a way to make it where you don't punch in which would be epic).

Thats really my major concerns and the big one is Data/Storage on big shoots. If anyone can chime in that would be epic about my issues thanks guys looking forward to the new Sensor!!!
 
Back
Top