Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Color space and export...

Taraneh

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2008
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
I'm a student and working on my thesis which is about RED ONE and its workflow for two companies, so I'm very new with all this. There are two things I've been trying to figure out and I've been reading almost every post but haven't found what I'm looking for, so I hope I'll get some answers now.. :)

Here it goes..

1. I've been looking at the color spaces REDspace and Rec709 and trying to find out the differences. I've read about how REDspace is brighter and more saturated (and better), but I would like to know why?

2. When doing some tests I found out that REDcine and Scratch exports (OpenEXR and TIFF) gives different results. I exported the same frame with the exact same settings in both applications, but the images from Scratch gave a little brighter results. Have someone else ever had that problem or is there something I'm missing?
 
Relating to #2...

Make sure that the builds of REDCINE and SCRATCH are matched. With each build of REDCINE, there is a build of SCRATCH that matches it.

As the R3D format has evolved, REDCINE and SCRATCH have also evolved. Each iteration of the mechanism necessary for decoding R3D is a tiny bit different. So different builds will generate slightly different results.

Also - are you sure you have the exact same settings? ;)

Lucas
------
ASSIMILATE, inc.
LA, CA, USA
 
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I know that the builds match? I have the latest of both applications, REDcine 3.1.2 and Scratch 4.0..
So the results aren't supposed to be exactly the same? Is anyone better or more right than the other?

About the settings, I'm not 100% sure since Scratch seems more complicated than REDcine and that this is all new to me.. There might me something more I have to do in Scratch that I don't know about. Basically the settings that I used (in both applications) were:
4K 2:1
Aspect square: 1:1
Output format: OpenEXR 16 Bit (f)
Filter: Linear
Color detail: High
NR Off
Color space: Rec709
Gamma: Custom - 1.0

Did I miss anything? :)
 
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I know that the builds match? I have the latest of both applications, REDcine 3.1.2 and Scratch 4.0..
So the results aren't supposed to be exactly the same? Is anyone better or more right than the other?

About the settings, I'm not 100% sure since Scratch seems more complicated than REDcine and that this is all new to me.. There might me something more I have to do in Scratch that I don't know about. Basically the settings that I used (in both applications) were:
4K 2:1
Aspect square: 1:1
Output format: OpenEXR 16 Bit (f)
Filter: Linear
Color detail: High
NR Off
Color space: Rec709
Gamma: Custom - 1.0

Did I miss anything? :)

Taraneh,

Can you please move this to the Assimilate support email alias? This is a question better suited for there.

Best,

Lucas
 
Back
Top