Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Color Grading in Premiere CC

John Barrett

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Points
16
I am working on a music video right now. Just got to the coloring stage and am experiencing an issue I have encountered before. Basically, I want to color correct one clip to two different color grades, due to a lighting change from camera movement. My question is this: Is there a way in Premiere to tell the program to differentiate the RED Raw color settings so that it doesnt apply what I do to the clip in one section to a separate section of the same clip used later? The only workaround I've found thus far is to transcode one of the clips, but that seems highly inefficient.

I googled and searched the forum for answers, but maybe I am not using the right keywords. I cant be the first to experience this.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
 
I've just been informed that I can duplicate the source file in the project browser and rename. Perfect solution. If anyone knows any other work arounds, please list them here!
 
I am working on a music video right now. Just got to the coloring stage and am experiencing an issue I have encountered before. Basically, I want to color correct one clip to two different color grades, due to a lighting change from camera movement. My question is this: Is there a way in Premiere to tell the program to differentiate the RED Raw color settings so that it doesnt apply what I do to the clip in one section to a separate section of the same clip used later? The only workaround I've found thus far is to transcode one of the clips, but that seems highly inefficient.

I googled and searched the forum for answers, but maybe I am not using the right keywords. I cant be the first to experience this.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Maybe I'm completely getting your problem wrong, but if I do understand, you are simply using the same clip in two different places in the timeline? If so you just grade each use differently? If you want to split the grade on a single clip, then you simply do a razor cut and grade the two parts separately.
 
I'm not convinced color-correcting within Premiere is an ideal workflow unless you have a color-managed output and a calibrated display. If you're just using the normal Premiere user interface, the operating system is not going to tell you the truth (especially on a cheap computer display).

There are shows that finish entirely on Premiere and it can work to a point. For really exacting work, I think you need a dedicated color-correction program.
 
Maybe I'm completely getting your problem wrong, but if I do understand, you are simply using the same clip in two different places in the timeline? If so you just grade each use differently? If you want to split the grade on a single clip, then you simply do a razor cut and grade the two parts separately.

You're right that you're wrong. Premiere treats the RED RAW info specially and won't let the same clip have two different RAW settings (such as ISO, K, etc).
 
You're right that you're wrong. Premiere treats the RED RAW info specially and won't let the same clip have two different RAW settings (such as ISO, K, etc).

O.K., I get it.
 
better than no grade
Sure, and a lit picture is better than a shot with no lighting. But bad grading on a bad monitor can create a huge avalanche of problems, particularly when the people doing the work are inexperienced and they have no idea what they're seeing. Bad things can happen.
 
Sure, and a lit picture is better than a shot with no lighting. But bad grading on a bad monitor can create a huge avalanche of problems, particularly when the people doing the work are inexperienced and they have no idea what they're seeing. Bad things can happen.

I agree 100%.

Learning that now with other formats :P
 
Back
Top