Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Cleaning Matthews artificial silk?

Nathan DuMoulin

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 25, 2015
Messages
450
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Toronto
I did a solo shoot awhile back with a Matthews artificial silk on an 8x8ft butterfly frame. High winds were a problem, which resulted in the silk becoming rather dirty. I packed it up after the shoot and flew home, only to store it and forget about it entirely. After neglecting it for months, I figure it's best that I clean it before taking it to an upcoming shoot.

Any recommendations on the best way to go about this without damaging it? There's actual mud spots on part of it, which I'm hoping aren't stains.

Thanks!
 
From Matthews:

CLEANING GUIDE FOR FABRICS,
BUTTERFLYS & OVERHEADS
Due to the incompatibility of the various fiber
contents of the Butterfly and Overhead materials,
Matthews recommends that they be washed in
cold water with mild detergent, and blocked dry
on the proper frame to prevent shrinkage. Be
sure they are dry before placing in a storage bag.
After cleaning, flame retardants may have been
removed.
NOTE: Matthews has had success with this
cleaning procedure; however, we will not be held
responsible for the results.

pdf:http://www.msegrip.com/MSE_Catalog_41_TextilesCh12.pdf
 
Putting it onto the frame to dry so it doesn't shrink out of shape, i.e. keeping it square. Otherwise, fabric might have a tendency to shrink in one direction, i.e. grain direction. Not always, but possible with some fabrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_(textile_arts)

Depending on how dirty the fabric is, you should get good enough results using Woolite and cold water in a large sink/tub. A good washing machine set on delicate should also do fine. Just don't stick it into the dryer, let it dry on the frame as per Matthews instructions.
 
Back
Top