Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Chromatic Abberation or Debayer Issue on Epic MX

Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've been using an Epic MX with the RED Pro 18-85 for two years now and I've never seen anything like this before and i'm not sure what to think of it. In the lower left hand corner of my frame i'm seeing strong greens and purples close to my edges that suggest CA but it abruptly stops along a vertical line only about 300 pixels in from the left. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
 

Attachments

  • REDUSER.jpg
    REDUSER.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • REDUSER-CU.jpg
    REDUSER-CU.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
To me that's a debayer issue. Look at that green strip at the very top of the green on Image #2. That is going off the lines of his clothes, and looks like just a broken image, and the fact that his other arm is not displaying the same issues. :/
 
Is this something to be concerned about? I think I can answer this on my own, yes it is, but has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any advice moving forward? I haven't seen this occur on any footage in the last three shoots since.
 
Probably data corruption, check if it is already on your master files (RedMag) if you still have it. I´d suggest to do a secure format on your mags from time to time. Definitely keep an eye on it.
 
Definitely start a ticket and see what RED says, but if memory serves this can be attributed to a write error, so secure format and re-seating the SSD module can also help prevent it from happening moving forward (I assume it was just one frame and not the entire clip, right?)
 
Actually it was present for the entire 2 minute clip. The CA was changing and evolving as the camera tilted up and down with the subject.
 
Did it always stay in the same area of the frame.?
Did you check to see if there was anything on the lens back and front along with any thing on the sensor? Has it done it on different lenses or only the one?
Kind of strange that it is only in the one area.. Take a flash light and shine it through the lens off the camera front and back to see if there is something in between the elements that may cause it.
And as Ulf said is it on the orignal R3D from the camera?
Could be a debayer issue but would good to rule out all other optical possibilities..
Good luck.
 
Back
Top