Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Cheapest S35 Scarlet package...

Jaime Vallés

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
1,795
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
New York City
Website
www.casicasi.com
Let's run the numbers, shall we?

5K S35 Scarlet brain: $7000
2.8" LCD Touchscreen: $900
Side CF Module: $500
Side handle (with battery): $950
Electronic Nikon mount: $500
TOTAL= $9850

Throw in an 8GB CF card ($165) and a 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens ($130) and you have a bare-bones 5K shooting package for a grand total of only $10,145!!!

Very, very awesome. :emote_happyhappy:
 
Nice breakdown... This is what i'm hoping to put together too. When I bought my HVX package, I spent 9100 so this is amazing for what I will use it for and be able to upgrade over time... cheers.
 
I don't see how this could be considered a real working set up. I mean, come on. One 8GB CF card? One battery (side handle)? Unless you plan on shooting for 5 minutes a day this isn't realistic.
 
Is that 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens going to be sharp enough?
 
When I bought my HVX package, I spent 9100 so this is amazing for what I will use it for and be able to upgrade over time... cheers.

Exactly, this is what everyone moaning about the 2/3" is missing. Scarlet will still be in the same price range as those camera yet will blow them out of the water with its recording format.

As for a Nikon 50mm 1.8, I'll say it'll probably produce an image just as good or better than any of the video lenses for prosumer cameras in this price range, and you have the option (no, not option, you have the total and absolute freedom) to upgrade over time.

I plan on starting with a similar setup with the Zeiss ZF 50mm. That'll definitely be sharp enough.
 
If it's sharp enough for any current digital Nikon I'm guessing it'll be sharp enough for the scarlet.

And don't forget: you have a whole lot of glass to choose from, both Canon and Nikon so depending on your budget you have a lot of options.
 
I don't see how this could be considered a real working set up. I mean, come on. One 8GB CF card? One battery (side handle)? Unless you plan on shooting for 5 minutes a day this isn't realistic.
It's certainly not ideal, but it is absolutely doable. All you'd really need is a 320GB Nexto drive to dump the footage into. Throw on the bottom handle ($350) for an extra battery, and you're all set.

And, yes, the 50mm f1.8 lens is definitely sharp enough for 5K Scarlet footage. It won't have the same mechanical smoothness as a proper cine lens, but the image it produces should be stellar. And it only costs $130 brand new!
 
Let's run the numbers, shall we?

5K S35 Scarlet brain: $7000
2.8" LCD Touchscreen: $900
Side CF Module: $500
Side handle (with battery): $950
Electronic Nikon mount: $500
TOTAL= $9850

Throw in an 8GB CF card ($165) and a 50mm f1.8 Nikon lens ($130) and you have a bare-bones 5K shooting package for a grand total of only $10,145!!!

Very, very awesome. :emote_happyhappy:


No built in ND filters? If so you should add a matte box and some ND filters. Clip on on still lenses? would that work?
 
This confirms that the majority here have very little experience with cameras. One battery and an 8GB card and no mattebox / filters. Are you kidding?

Spending 10k on a camera won't make you a cinematographer, read a book, learn the craft, spend a couple of thousand on a camera now and start filming, start learning instead of the endless discussions about configurations... configurations that currently don't exist by the way. Be realistic.
 
I think some of you are being a bit nitpicky over these numbers... obviously you may want more than one battery, or some filters, or more lenses than a 50mm... but it's not that hard to do the math.

It seems valid to start a list with the minimal items you'd need to shoot and record an image: a camera, a lens, a battery, a recording medium, etc. Of course the reality is more complicated than that - for example, you can't really shoot outside in daytime without ND's, you'll probably want a tripod and head, etc.
 
No built in ND filters? If so you should add a matte box and some ND filters. Clip on on still lenses? would that work?

You can always not use a matte box, and use screw-on filters. I own and extensively use multiple RED One cameras. I use them exclusively with 35mm stills lenses and screw on filters. I don't even own a matte box - the genres I shoot require a high degree of mobility, thus low weight and bulk. The footage results have been stellar.

Unless you work in narrative, and/or genres which require a matte box, you should seriously consider using screw-on filters. It will save you money and enhance the mobility of your camera setups.

There are times to think outside the (matte) box...
 
Gyus guys guys.. Maybe Jaime is refderring to RED specific spenditures from HIS point of view. He most likely has a sticks and a head. Same goes for the matte box, or maybe he has a friend who has a friend who has a friend who is not using his. who know.

I do agree, it IS tight. So what? If he feels this will work for him, more power to him. It probably means he will have to do some compromises, but dont we all do that most of the time (at diferent pay grades)?

But come on, at least get 2 cards ;-)
 
What about those Nikon lenses like the "Nikon ED AF-S VR-NIKKOR 70-200mm 1:2.8G" and the "Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 12-24mm 1:4 G ED". The Aperture is controlled by the camera, not by an aperture ring on the lens. They are also made for cameras with smaller sensors less than FF. Will those lenses work on the Scarlet S35?

I also have a "AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED".
 
Maybe I am overlooking something, but without the IO module, how can you record sound??? Are you assuming (with the setup described in this thread) you would shoot double system sound?
 
Hi steve very valid point about using screw in filters.

l was wondering if you could help me on one point lm not clear on! a lot of people mention about infra red effecting image quality when using ND filters on red cameras, what is your experience of this.

Coming from the video world its never been a problem.

many thanks andrew
 
What about those Nikon lenses like the "Nikon ED AF-S VR-NIKKOR 70-200mm 1:2.8G" and the "Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 12-24mm 1:4 G ED". The Aperture is controlled by the camera, not by an aperture ring on the lens. They are also made for cameras with smaller sensors less than FF. Will those lenses work on the Scarlet S35?

I also have a "AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED".

The Nikon mount is electronic, you set the aperture via the camera controls - look at the first render in Jim's announcement - no aperture ring on that RED lens and you can see the electronic contacts in the Canon mount in the image below that too,

As for DX lenses not being full frame, well neither is S35. In fact DX is very close to S35, so yes DX lenses will work on an S35 Scarlet with a Nikon mount, though you might get some slight vignetting with some lenses.
 
Back
Top