Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Canon L glass IS or f2.8?

Karel Šimůnek

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2014
Messages
657
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Czech Republic, Europe
Guys need some help, I guess a lot of you have any experience with Canon L Zoom still lenses. My question is would you get latest versions of 16-35 and 24-70 with f2.8 and no IS or f4 with IS? I'll be shooting mainly handheld and gimbal so I think for video lenses with IS will be much better even they are "only" f4. But what do you think? Or what did you buy for you RED? Thanks
 
I'd go the better 2.8. I never use IS as it can give some weird affects. Film steady and use warp stabiliser in post if you get a little shaky.
 
You could rent both and compare. While IS may sometimes give unwanted image shift, it can be useful on other types of shot.

Having said that f/2.8 is also very useful, probably more useful than IS.
 
The real question is, why aren't you considering the truly extraordinary Sigma Art f1.8 18-35mm zoom? It is one of the best stills lenses ever made, and it is perfect for the RED.

Stephen
 
i agree with stephen, i would check out the sigma 1.8 zooms and use other methods for stabilization (although i have never had any trouble with canon IS and really like it)
 
Thank you guys, much appreciated :)

The real question is, why aren't you considering the truly extraordinary Sigma Art f1.8 18-35mm zoom? It is one of the best stills lenses ever made, and it is perfect for the RED.

Stephen

Stephen, I'm considering Sigma lenses as well. I heard they are super sharp but I don't know how they'll go with Canon's 70-200mm MarkII IS lens which I'm going to buy as well. And I guess the 70-200 from Canon is the best one from 70-200mm range. But yes Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is legendary especially with RED :)
 
i would look at these...

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/view-all-lenses/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-a

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/view-all-lenses/50-100mm-f1-8-dc-hsm-a

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/view-all-lenses/apo-70-200mm-f2-8-ex-dg-os-hsm
(currently comes with free teleconverter, note that this or the canon is effectively 112-320, although you could probably use a speedbooster with it as well)

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/14x-teleconverter-ex-apo-dg

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/accessories/lens-accessories/20x-teleconverter-ex-apo-dg

you might also want to add the tokina 14-20 f2...

---

it would be really nice to have a focal reducer to convert from ff to aps-c - canon to canon. any solutions?
edit: found this! http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?158407-RED-Monstro-645-Speed-Booster-Experiment
 
Karel Šimůnek;1772740 said:
I'm considering Sigma lenses as well. I heard they are super sharp but I don't know how they'll go with Canon's 70-200mm MarkII IS lens which I'm going to buy as well. And I guess the 70-200 from Canon is the best one from 70-200mm range. But yes Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is legendary especially with RED :)

I've got the Sigma 50-100 1.8 paired with the Sigma 18-35, and it hits about 99% of whatever I need to shoot. And they are matched. And both 1.8.
 
Karel Šimůnek;1772631 said:
Guys need some help, I guess a lot of you have any experience with Canon L Zoom still lenses. My question is would you get latest versions of 16-35 and 24-70 with f2.8 and no IS or f4 with IS? I'll be shooting mainly handheld and gimbal so I think for video lenses with IS will be much better even they are "only" f4. But what do you think? Or what did you buy for you RED? Thanks

It's rumoured that Canon is developing an IS version of the 24-70 f2.8L, so if you can hold out....

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-24-70mm-f2-8l-is-still-in-testing-cr2/
 
Karel Šimůnek;1772631 said:
Guys need some help, I guess a lot of you have any experience with Canon L Zoom still lenses. My question is would you get latest versions of 16-35 and 24-70 with f2.8 and no IS or f4 with IS? I'll be shooting mainly handheld and gimbal so I think for video lenses with IS will be much better even they are "only" f4. But what do you think? Or what did you buy for you RED? Thanks

I was debating myself on the Canon L 16-35 and the Sigma Art. I went with the Sigma and it is a GREAT lens BUT for Run and Gun I wish I got the Canon L. I'm now considering buying the Canon as well. The Sigma 1.8 is hard for Run and Gun work. I'd get the Canon with IS first but every Red owner on a budget should own the Sigma Art!!
 
Last edited:
"IS" lenses have a much more complex inner electronics and components that render the lens a little heavier and not as sharp, even so the latest lenses in the Canon line up are doing wonders, yet the None "IS" versions of the lenses when available are always best.

While having a "IS" lens has its benefits in some Still Photography applications, I always preferred NONE "IS" when available, as they are always the sharpest, and lightest of the two, and don't use "IS" in high shutter Still Photography, and definitely didn't see any benefits in Motion Capture with the RED cameras.

So my vote goes for NONE "IS".
 
Careful about that Sigma 50-100 f1.8 Art zoom. It breathes like an 80-year-old with COPD. Indeed, I have never seen a lens with such severe breathing. Never. I found it completely unusable for that reason, but then we just make dramatic features. I suspect it would be perfect for talking heads.

The 18-35, however, is a thing of beauty. We sold three Canon L lenses (16-35, 24, 35) because of that lens and couldn't be happier. If they ever kill that breathing, we'll be all over the 50-100.

Stephen
 
"IS" lenses have a much more complex inner electronics and components that render the lens a little heavier and not as sharp, even so the latest lenses in the Canon line up are doing wonders, yet the None "IS" versions of the lenses when available are always best.

While having a "IS" lens has its benefits in some Still Photography applications, I always preferred NONE "IS" when available, as they are always the sharpest, and lightest of the two, and don't use "IS" in high shutter Still Photography, and definitely didn't see any benefits in Motion Capture with the RED cameras.

So my vote goes for NONE "IS".

Thank you Ketch for your advice. Didn't think about it like that and sharpness is important to me when shooting.
Which ones from Canon L`s you can recommend? Preferably zooms as I don't want to travel with so many lenses but I want to have a decent focal range :)
 
Back
Top