Shaun O'Connell
Well-known member
I'm starting this thread to (hopefully) get some questions answered about RED, my current issue, tech support, and the RMA process. If it's in the wrong section, I apologize in advance.
On Sunday, May 23rd, we decided to test our RED One at 4.5k for an upcoming shoot (scheduled to start rolling on June 3rd). To our surprise, as well as the director's, our camera would not boot. After a quick search of REDUSER, we discovered that someone else had the same problem not so long ago: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36389
I left frantic emails and voicemails, plus we sent a trouble ticket via RED.com. At 10:27 PM I received an email from Nate stating that it was probably a hardware issue. "Unfortunately," he said, "it may need to come in for an evaluation/repair." My heart sank.
Through subsequent emails on Monday, we decided the camera would have to go back to RED. I also discovered that turnaround time is about 3-5 days after it arrives.
The RMA ticket came in (RMA # BB SOr-008248) and we instantly noticed the $100 evaluation fee. We shipped the camera w/insurance via UPS, priority overnight ($400+ one way). On top of that, we found out that our camera's warranty is expired. This would have been good to keep in mind (1 year only). I'd pay extra up front for an "AppleCare" option, if it existed. Admittedly I'm worried about the total cost for all of this, but I'm really freaked out that we won't get our camera back in time for the shoot.
On Tuesday, UPS confirmed that our RED One was successfully delivered to LAKE FOREST, CA. Unfortunately nobody told RED. It took an email, a phone call, and another day before they realized the package was indeed in the warehouse.
I received confirmation on Wednesday that our camera was there, and it was currently in diagnosis. I just called a few minutes ago (Thursday), only to learn our camera is still in diagnosis (and would be until 3 or 4 this afternoon). I'm praying that they can find out what it is, fix it, and have it sent back before June 3rd. Our livelihood for the next month depends on it. To that end, has anyone ever had the problem described in the thread above? If so, what was the recommended course of action, how much (roughly) did it cost, and how long did it take? What is the real turnaround time for RED repairs?
Nate, Brian, and Daniel w/RMA have been very helpful, despite my elevated stress levels. Hopefully I'll get some good news today.
Thanks!
On Sunday, May 23rd, we decided to test our RED One at 4.5k for an upcoming shoot (scheduled to start rolling on June 3rd). To our surprise, as well as the director's, our camera would not boot. After a quick search of REDUSER, we discovered that someone else had the same problem not so long ago: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36389
I left frantic emails and voicemails, plus we sent a trouble ticket via RED.com. At 10:27 PM I received an email from Nate stating that it was probably a hardware issue. "Unfortunately," he said, "it may need to come in for an evaluation/repair." My heart sank.
Through subsequent emails on Monday, we decided the camera would have to go back to RED. I also discovered that turnaround time is about 3-5 days after it arrives.
The RMA ticket came in (RMA # BB SOr-008248) and we instantly noticed the $100 evaluation fee. We shipped the camera w/insurance via UPS, priority overnight ($400+ one way). On top of that, we found out that our camera's warranty is expired. This would have been good to keep in mind (1 year only). I'd pay extra up front for an "AppleCare" option, if it existed. Admittedly I'm worried about the total cost for all of this, but I'm really freaked out that we won't get our camera back in time for the shoot.
On Tuesday, UPS confirmed that our RED One was successfully delivered to LAKE FOREST, CA. Unfortunately nobody told RED. It took an email, a phone call, and another day before they realized the package was indeed in the warehouse.
I received confirmation on Wednesday that our camera was there, and it was currently in diagnosis. I just called a few minutes ago (Thursday), only to learn our camera is still in diagnosis (and would be until 3 or 4 this afternoon). I'm praying that they can find out what it is, fix it, and have it sent back before June 3rd. Our livelihood for the next month depends on it. To that end, has anyone ever had the problem described in the thread above? If so, what was the recommended course of action, how much (roughly) did it cost, and how long did it take? What is the real turnaround time for RED repairs?
Nate, Brian, and Daniel w/RMA have been very helpful, despite my elevated stress levels. Hopefully I'll get some good news today.
Thanks!