Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Buy Now or Wait for Dragon?

Thank you for your kind words and very useful information! You're completely right.
 
or why settle with Dragon? you could wait till Jim turns dramatically around and says to Jarred "Release the Kraken!"
 
What's with this thread?

If you have a movie to make buy what's available within your budget to make it.

If you don't have a movie to make, you don't need a camera, unless you're buying to rent, which is a totally different business.

If you don't want to invest in a camera at this time, rent.

Mike
 
What's with this thread?

If you have a movie to make buy what's available within your budget to make it.

If you don't have a movie to make, you don't need a camera, unless you're buying to rent, which is a totally different business.

If you don't want to invest in a camera at this time, rent.

Mike

I think the question's implicit question could be rephrased as

"Should I buy a Scarlet- MX or will it be cheaper to wait for Dragon and buy Scarlet-XD".

Which is a legitimate inquiry. But unfortunately due to the new "no roadmaps" policy we don't know if there even will be a Dragon Scarlet or if it would be cheaper. My gut based on past experience is that it'll cost more than buying now and upgrading later than simply buying later. Not to mention you'll be further up in line like RED One MXs.
 
If you are serious about pulling the trigger I would buy Scarlet now, 2012 is upon us and who knows what tommorow will bring ;)

I probably won't be upgrading to Dragon. I expect it to cost at least twice as much as the MX upgrade (for Scarlet users) considering they will have to do a lot of internal board moving and stuff that is way over my head! Either way this will increase the price. As much as I will want to upgrade to Dragon, I'm ecstatic with what Scarlet-X has to offer for a long-time to come!
 
You should always wait for a better camera. That way you will never have one......unless, of course, you want to use a camera :smilielol5:
 
just out of curiosity, can anyone remember how much the MX upgrade was?

IIRC,

R1 M - $17k
Upgrade to MX - $6k
R1 MX - $25k

It was cheaper to buy then upgrade... the MX had a price increase built-in.

Mike
 
phillip

phillip

 
IIRC,

R1 M - $17k
Upgrade to MX - $6k
R1 MX - $25k

It was cheaper to buy then upgrade... the MX had a price increase built-in.

Mike
mmm, so any upgrade from an Epic M or X could probably cost in the region of $10-12K. That's not too bad, considering that it gives me a medium format still camera spec and it future proofs the video camera for about 6 or 7 years, even if it comes out in 2013.
 
Back
Top